Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into purchasing an ATV - My brother lives in the Sierra's and does allot of back country steep hills and rocks - where as I'll use it for the waterfowl season Nov through Jan. I hunt the rice fields. Most if not all of the ATV's at the club are Belt driven. They drive their ATV's through the flooded fields ad mud and never any issues.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tom, I would suggest to stay away from "chain driven" quads. The straw can really do some damage. Even with direct drive you can have serious problems with straw wrapping around the axles and boots. The main thing I would keep in mind is whatever one you get remember to clean the undercarrage, hubs and cv boots every time you take it into the flooded fields. JUST4DUX

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh Poptart, I would have to disagree with you on the chain drive, I have used my Polaris 425 Mag for years have had great luck with it, as all bikes the rice straw will be a problem even with my 500 Polaris.
Just clean it every time you go into the field.

·
Registered
55 Posts
mines a belt drive had no problems this year in the rice probably had 60 lbs of the shoots stuck to my axles and what not and it hauled two fat arses around with a trailer no problems.... and in the hills snow and mud would go anywhere you wanted to go just my two cents ohhhh and its for sale if you interested :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that rice will be the issue - what about the rock (not boulders) climbing. If the wheels get wedged in the belt will slip as opposed to the chain snapping the axle or the shaft?

·
Registered
55 Posts
getter done thats because they were polariss' :biggrin: get a kawi.. mine fully automatic and i wasnt sure about it at first but i love it now you never have to worry bout stoping and putting it in gear you just drive as fast or slow as you want

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.