Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many birds do you average in between bands? I have shot tons of ducks and still nothing. Only have seen one taken in my hunting party. Just wondering if I am cursed or if this is normal.

· Registered
965 Posts
i guess you would ahve to say it is a lot of luck but... the thing that impacts you the number of bands the most is location ... sometimes on hunts up north it isn't uncommon for like every 3 bird to be banded but around here ks_wf... getting bands can be a challange ... i have shot one band...a goose and that is it counting that one i have only seen 2 shot with bands ... my bro shot the other .. . (he has alot for around here ...i wish i could hunt as much as him)

yellow

· Registered
328 Posts
bands are just a hit and miss kind of deal in the past 2 yrs i havent shot anything wiht a band but i have buddies that its not un common to shoot a band bout every 3rd hunt i dont know how but there just that lucky.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
As I recall, it is something like 1 duck per 465 is banded. I've shot over 1200 ducks and have 3 bands in 37 seasons of hunting. This is the Federal bands for ducks only.

Naturally if you hunt right where they banded a bunch, your odds go way up. Certain "infamous" nationally known goose hunters get so many bands because their state bands a fair amount and they specifically scout for the neck collars and it screws up the scientific research. IMHO how many bands or lack there of does not at all indicate proweness of hunting skills. Way too much is made of it.

· Registered
965 Posts
IMHO how many bands or lack there of does not at all indicate proweness of hunting skills. Way too much is made of it.
h2o

very true... i have one and am very proud of it and all but i am sure others are better hunters and have none esp. around these parts ...like i said .. around here it is alot of luck i have an unclue who has be a hard core fowler for 30 some years and has 1 and this is a man who knows how to hunt... if there are 7 birds in the state he will find 6 of them and limit that day...

· Registered
1,702 Posts
I can't eat antlers or bands... Would I like some? Sure. But that is not what drives me to hunt. I know guys that have killed a lot of deer and now they just want a "wall hanger". Nothing wrong with that. Scoping geese for leg bands? I guess I have not been doing this long enough to understand that.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
:withstupid: I am with both of you if you sit there and look for bands on ducks and geese it isn't hunting, and just trying for a band doesn't drive me to go hunting. I just like to get out and watch ducks and geese commit to your spread and come in. I don't know if there is a better feeling then that, that is why I love hunting ducks and geese.

· Registered
658 Posts
I've been chasing ducks for about 10 years now, and only have one band. Got it from a Mottled Duck the second year of my duck life. Once I got the information back, I found out it was banded about ten miles from where I shot it and about 4 months earlier. I wonder if some of those guys that have their lanyards full have purchased a few of them.

· Registered
212 Posts
it all depends on where you hunt...if you hunt near an area where there has been a mass banding project then of course you are bound to shoot a few bands...thats how most of those guys with there lanyards filled do it. i have been hunting for 3 years now and i have only shot 1 band and that was on a lesser canadian. i shot it this year during early goose season. there isn't really an exact average...it could be 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 or even 1 in 100,000 who knows?? like i said it all depends on where you hunt.

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gander,
I see you live in Ohio, where I know they do alot of banding. I have watched videos of Ohio hunts where they killed like 8 neckies that day. Congrats on the Iron and plastic. It is awesome to see them shot. I would say it wasn't so much luck as it was location like everyone said. But anyway, congrats. Hope you are hooked on waterfowling.

My buddy shot a banded mallard monday night in our honey hole.

Kansas doesn't do hardly any banding, so I guess I am pretty much SOL. Have seen 4 neckies while hunting ducks when canadas weren't in season. Flying over 15 yards high. Killed a snow out of one of the groups of canadas.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have 9 bands in 10 years of hunting. None of which were banded in my home state. So i would have to say that i am lucky. Does anyone know how many reward $ bands are out there? I got one last year that was a 100$ reward. I had never heard of that before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.