Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never baited before because I was brought up to scout. But I have this perfect place that I want to attract more ducks to during the off season. So my question is when you put corn out do you spread it in the water or do you spread it on the land?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
It's a close call....but I would say it is. First, for the most part mallards a a few other puddle ducks are just plain lazy, when it comes to eating. The easier the access the better.
If right around the edges is shallower...try there, if not spread it on the band and surrounding land.
Not that it won't hurt to throw some in the water.

·
Registered
250 Posts
id be careful and check the reg becuase i know that baiting waterfowl is illegal in wi...unless it is naturally grow or depostited on the ground by a combine or something like that i forget the wording but check the reg if you are in WI dont know the regs in MN id hate to see you get nailed if you didnt know

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know that baiting in MI lie that is illegal. I have helped our DNR band ducks in the summer time, and in deeper water they just put out a large platform that is anchored and load it up with corn and other grain. The ducks can't resist. But I would check your regs, the fines could be pretty stiff.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Its not illegal to feed waterfowl in the offseason. :biggrin:

·
Registered
133 Posts
smackaduck said:
Its not illegal to feed waterfowl in the offseason. :biggrin:
But it is illegal to hunt a pond that has been bait. You must let the pond rest for at least two weeks or longer depending on what your CO tells you. All grain and feeding activity must be stopped for a minimum of two weeks before hunting can start. Many times a CO will call a pond baited for the year and ticket anyone that hunts it for the entire year. Check with your CO.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
water_swatter01 said:
I've never baited before because I was brought up to scout. But I have this perfect place that I want to attract more ducks to during the off season. So my question is when you put corn out do you spread it in the water or do you spread it on the land?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I've been waiting to see when someone was going to jump in about how baiting is illegal after not reading the post carefully. Took longer than I thought, actually.

water_swatter01,
Might not hurt to send a PM to Honker Guide, as he's got a pond that he has spent alot of time and energy on turning it into a place where ducks want to be. I don't think he baits it with corn in the off-season, but he may have some ideas as to how you can make some changes to yours. I know that from what I've read, he spent years doing the work, but he may have some shorter-term ideas for you to try. I'm sure he could offer you many long-term suggestions as well.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Instead of filling the pond with corn, because once you stop the ducks are gone, how about spending the time and get someone from your State agency that will tell you what you could plant in the pond that will grow there year after year, so the birds will come there naturally. There are place's out there where you can get all the seeds or transplant's Like J & J Transplant Aquatic Nursery 1-800-622-5055

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all of the posts. As mentioned earlier I do not intend to hunt over a baited pond. I want to attract more mallards and other puddlers to the pond. I'm going to put corn around the edges and in the middle.
To 870 I don't think I can plant much of anything here. Besides maybe some floating plants like duck weed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
water_swatter01 said:
Thank you for all of the posts. As mentioned earlier I do not intend to hunt over a baited pond. I want to attract more mallards and other puddlers to the pond. I'm going to put corn around the edges and in the middle.
You should probably stop using the word "bait," when you mean "feed."

You want to attract ducks to your pond by feeding them.

I wouldn't put any food in the water. Most of it will rot and go to waste. Keep it dry and available.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
put all the corn you can in the pond, deep and shallow as often as possible, probably trying to stay shallow if you want to get some puddle ducks, and you can go deeper if there are any divers around... spread it in the water mainly but putting some on the edge of the water wont hurt..

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.