Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While hunting in south Texas over the holiday, I took a banded drake redhead, but for some reason the band has no markings. Is this a special kind of band or what? All it is is a small galvanized ring.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, its not like most bands. Very small, thin, smooth, very tight around the birds leg, also has uneven edges. No markings at all. I'll post pics in the gallary when I get my cam back

· Registered
380 Posts
texan,

Does it look like there had been any engraving on it at all?

My one Buddy shot a Drake Mallard a few years back, Double Banded.
Regular Federal Band and 1 like you state.

The one was like you say about.
It had on it in light engraving "This is a Creature of God, Not to Be Eaten or Killed"

I have since heard, (Don't know if it is True or not) that a Preacher someplace in the Western States Catchs and bands Waterfowl with his Home made bands.
He is ANTI Hunting and places these bands on Waterfowl to try and get people to stop hunting them!

· Registered
3,108 Posts
I have an exact same kind of band band-except from 25+ years ago. The bird was soooo old all the numbers had worn off and the leg bone had worn away part of the metal band. Mine was on a huge Canvasback.

Try useing a microscope or even a magnifying glass and look real closely for numbers. Otherwise I heard that they(Govt agency) can sometimes apply an acid that will highlight the etchings.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shot the bird in the port mansfield bay, on the back flats heading out towards the jetties out of a flock of about 20 other redheads. Two other redheads were taken out of the same flock, a hen , and an immature drake, no bands. The drake looked very mature, very old. Do to the band being so tight around the birds leg, I think the banding was done by an inexperienced bander, probably someone not licensed to do so. The band is very rigid, if flexed to many times, it will break No visble markings

· Registered
114 Posts
Call the bird band report number ( 1-800 327-BAND) tell them what you have and they will give you instructions on how to send it in to have it acid etched. It will not hurt the band and they WILL return it to you. It sounds like a very old bird that wore off the stamped in lettering. By acid etching the densities of the stamped in lettering will show the BBL the numbers and they will be able to get the info to you of banding origin.

· Registered
70 Posts
it could have been someones pet.....old Fred the drake redhead....thats where the little chain was connected to keep him near his duck house....

poor old fred ..... we'll miss him

check the local phone poles in the area....a family might have posted lost animal signs...

just joking.....i'm stuck at work waiting for some of my drivers to hurry up and get finished for the day....BORED!!!!!

i'd much rather be in a boat somewhere...anywhere....

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Texan,
Could have been from a breeder. I got a Blonde Quail from a breeder out of California that had a band that wasn't made out of the usual galvanized metal, it was made out of what I believe was aluminum. It had the same tensiled strength that you're describing. The bird was a yearling, and the numbers were already wearing out. If a bird is raised in captivity, it usually needs one of three identification markers, Wing clipped, toe clipped, or a band. My bet is, it's a bird that was raised in captivity that "flew the coop"!
The acid your looking for is Hydrochloric acid in a diluted form. You also could use Liver of Sulphur/Sulfur (used in etching of fine metals such as jewelry). Warning: Liver of Sulphur stinks of rotton eggs x 10! Wings cupped, Pete

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Texan68,
Yes they breed ducks of all kinds, Divers included. A friend of mine out of California has over 20 different species of ducks from the simple Mallard to exotics like the Bakal Teal. I would bet my bottom dollar that this duck came from a pen raised duckling, after all how many people you know could capture a live duck like a Redhead? With the band being so mallible I'd believe it was a breeders I.D. band, similar to a pigeon band
Wings cupped, Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.