Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I;m having a little problem with my dog barking at birds in the air.This Dog is a Lab 6 years old but hasn't had alot of workNot many hunting situation retreives.Not many birds in my area.
.He's fine on retrieves but this barking has just now become a problem.I'm thinking he's just exited but why all of a sudden no problems with this in his early years.We usally stake him out behind the blind 15-20 yds so he can mark birds.

· Administrator
43,554 Posts
Hello I;m having a little problem with my dog barking at birds in the air.This Dog is a Lab 6 years old but hasn't had alot of workNot many hunting situation retreives.Not many birds in my area.
.He's fine on retrieves but this barking has just now become a problem.I'm thinking he's just exited but why all of a sudden no problems with this in his early years.We usally stake him out behind the blind 15-20 yds so he can mark birds.
Always hard to prescribe without seeing and knowing more but my guess would be, being tethered behind the blind + excitement of birds = barking.

1. Dog shouldn't be/need tethered (yes, training).
2. It'll be on you to camo-up and sit with the dog for awhile to correct the behavior.
3. This never gets better on its own.

Edit: 4. Getting the dog in the blind or beside it for teaching/correction purposes.

It sounds like a big problem with an easy solution. (y)

· Registered
25,616 Posts
Not many hunting situation retreives.Not many birds in my area.
We usally stake him out behind the blind 15-20 yds so he can mark birds.
He's finally had enough being bored stuck 50 feet away all alone while you and your buddies hang out and BS.

Not training advice, but you'd get bored tied to a stake all alone with nothing going on. Maybe he's just had enough and going to ruin your day too 🤣

Sounds like a pet that hunts as my dog was. Put him next to the blind and he can be part of the group and go get the occasional bird for you. Just hide the jerky, I had mine sneak in the blind and steal a bag of deer jerky out of my blind bag without any of us noticing. 😲

· Administrator
43,554 Posts
The thing with "not many birds" is making the ones you do have count. Trust me, I know.

Nothing wrong with a remote sit , used it all the time hunkering down in cattails or embankments with no blind. Dog was not next to me. Too big a profile to have the dog beside me or I was standing in water. In my blind the dog was in a Momarsh elevated blind beside. Perfect as it allowed full view of the landing zone and he was concealed in both cases.

Both took training, it wasn't that hard. That's what a dog expected to work needs.

· Registered
25,616 Posts
I agree if the remote sit is necessary. His specific reason was "so he can mark birds." And they don't get many birds to mark. Plus what's an extra blind retrieve, you need to train them for that too.

Not quite sure why being 50 back helps mark. Do the hunters have trouble marking the birds from where they are :unsure: Then when they have a cripple, they have to walk 50 feet to let the dog go instead of sending him immediately.

Too each his own and there maybe good reason, it just sounds to me much like my situation and it feels like they are trying too hard for perfection and could just relax and have fun, part of which is having the dog with you for the morning and not setting all alone. Plus it seems it would actually help with the problem that has developed.

· Administrator
43,554 Posts
I agree if the remote sit is necessary. His specific reason was "so he can mark birds." And they don't get many birds to mark. Plus what's an extra blind retrieve, you need to train them for that too.

Not quite sure why being 50 back helps mark. Do the hunters have trouble marking the birds from where they are :unsure: Then when they have a cripple, they have to walk 50 feet to let the dog go instead of sending him immediately.

Too each his own and there maybe good reason, it just sounds to me much like my situation and it feels like they are trying too hard for perfection and could just relax and have fun, part of which is having the dog with you for the morning and not setting all alone. Plus it seems it would actually help with the problem that has developed.
Well, it sounded like the dog is in a remote sit now, just tethered up, so as to "mark birds". That's the main reason for a dog to be trained on a remote sit for when versatility is needed. The dog may "stand up" when birds are working hence being behind the blind 20 yards. I imagine a dog that breaks remotely will just as easily break from the gunners side. Again...guessing, but that far back indicates there's other issues with the dogs obedience when hunting.

Blinds are much harder to train than sit. 😂

Personally, I don't view any of it as perfection but rather basics. I agree it should be fun for all but the easiest way to have fun is train the dog better. If one doesn't, expect problems that make it un-funner.

· Registered
25,616 Posts
My dog sat just fine, but she broke to shots. That's the reason I tethered her. Primarily to give us time to finish off cripples. Given getting a shot was a good day, I never worked on the correct solution.

Blinds versus a remote sit all morning 50 feet away. My dog did blinds. She would have never done a remote sit all morning that far away. Then again, I never tried. 50 feet away would have been in the bushes, sitting just outside the blind door worked best for all our hunts.

This is all entertainment, so whatever floats your boat. It doesn't sound like versatility or any of that are required. After 6 years the dog does not have a lot of experience with hunting retrieves. They aren't shooting a lot of birds. I used to bring a bumper with me so when we were done, because that was often the only thing my dog did that morning. It just sounds like they are making it too complex, but I agree, there could be a good reason for tethering the dog 50 feet away. I personally have never hunted in such a situation. Layouts, pits, shore blinds, boats, the dog has always been nearby.

My only complaint is people that bring their dog to the pit and never trained them to hunt from a pit. One kept trying to get out of the pit to see and then wouldn't sit still next to the pit. I never took my dog to the pit because she would have been the same. I didn't hunt a pit until she was older.

BTW, I hope greg doesn't take this as criticism and just advice to think about it. Of course, you know the difference between advice and criticism. Whether you are on the giving or receiving end 🤣

· Administrator
43,554 Posts
My dog sat just fine, but she broke to shots. That's the reason I tethered her. Primarily to give us time to finish off cripples. Given getting a shot was a good day, I never worked on the correct solution.

Blinds versus a remote sit all morning 50 feet away. My dog did blinds. She would have never done a remote sit all morning that far away. Then again, I never tried. 50 feet away would have been in the bushes, sitting just outside the blind door worked best for all our hunts.

This is all entertainment, so whatever floats your boat. It doesn't sound like versatility or any of that are required. After 6 years the dog does not have a lot of experience with hunting retrieves. They aren't shooting a lot of birds. I used to bring a bumper with me so when we were done, because that was often the only thing my dog did that morning. It just sounds like they are making it too complex, but I agree, there could be a good reason for tethering the dog 50 feet away. I personally have never hunted in such a situation. Layouts, pits, shore blinds, boats, the dog has always been nearby.

My only complaint is people that bring their dog to the pit and never trained them to hunt from a pit. One kept trying to get out of the pit to see and then wouldn't sit still next to the pit. I never took my dog to the pit because she would have been the same. I didn't hunt a pit until she was older.

BTW, I hope greg doesn't take this as criticism and just advice to think about it. Of course, you know the difference between advice and criticism. Whether you are on the giving or receiving end 🤣
Yeah, no criticism I've just grown very pragmatic when it comes to working dogs. People can train it to be competent or not, advanced or not, a joy to hunt with or not, a PIA or not. You reap what you sow like everything else.

This cracked me up: "My dog sat fine just broke on gunshot" 😂

Either way in this case there's a problem to fix. Knowing what causes it is the 1st step in fixing it.

· Registered
25,616 Posts
This cracked me up: "My dog sat fine just broke on gunshot" 😂
Per the discussion here. She just sat there watching the birds working. No barking. No even fidgeting. If they landed in the decoys she would stare intently and quiver a bit from her intense focus.

The tether solved the problem in two seconds. Training to get her to not break, wasn't worth the effort given that most days were DNS and the problem was solved.

Once tethered she didn't even move if we shot and had cripples swimming in the decoys. No fussing until I unclipped her and then it was on full steam.

I live in the suburbs. There's a huge park field, a big lake, and some overgrown fields across the street. Gunfire, even blanks was frowned upon. I had the place to myself for morning training. To incorporate gunfire required travel and wasn't worth it to get her to not break since it wasn't an actual problem for me and how and where I hunted with my dog.

· Administrator
43,554 Posts
Once tethered she didn't even move if we shot and had cripples swimming in the decoys. No fussing until I unclipped her and then it was on full steam.
So all you had to do was clip the leash to the collar. Sounds like you didn't need to tie it off? Magic! 😂

Seriously though, I am not arguing with peoples dogs performance. It's the people that have high expectations but don't deserve them that gets old. Dog always pays for it. MOST of the time, there's lotsa holes not just one. Just like switching on birds during a retrieve...very annoying but super easy to fix.

Things like "sit means sit until told otherwise" is good for a pet as well as hunting dog but I realize 99% of pet owners don't care. I see it every day in my neighborhood. The stupid neighborhood social site some woman was saying we need a law for leashes only in the park because her dog was charged by another. So take my freedom (and my dogs) because someone else can't control theirs? Nope.

Anyway - seems to me the OP knows what to do. Good luck!

· Registered
9,381 Posts
Always hard to prescribe without seeing and knowing more but my guess would be, being tethered behind the blind + excitement of birds = barking.

1. Dog shouldn't be/need tethered (yes, training).
2. It'll be on you to camo-up and sit with the dog for awhile to correct the behavior.
3. This never gets better on its own.

Edit: 4. Getting the dog in the blind or beside it for teaching/correction purposes.

It sounds like a big problem with an easy solution. (y)
HNTFSH, believe you nailed it. Key words for me was "stake" "mark" and "20yds".
It completely takes the dog right out of the hunt itself, he may as well be tied to the bumper on the truck way back ' yonder at the boat landing.
Pup is behind the blind, he needs to be in the blind so he can participate and be a real part of the hunt, mark off the gun, etc..
Did read where you had your dog, (probably the "ole Knothead") on a remote, but am sure he was close enough to still be involved in the hunt and take a cast (without any rope😉)

· Registered
4,289 Posts
A short lead over the dog door is a problem solver as a training aid. Puts the pooch with the group. they can see but not break. Easier to correct bad habits. Won't take long until you can quit using the lead, a quick scratch on the neck is a non verbal stay similar to snapping on a lead. I like stay because I don't give a darn if the dog sits, stands, or lays down as long it's in its spot. Sitting in my small world is reserved for when at heel to be sent.

· Administrator
43,554 Posts
I made life much better for the last dog and myself using a dog blind next to the duck blind. The dog could see everything , mark and know if doubles. Can go from down to crouch without disturbing much should that happen. What does help if in the blind (where they can't see all birds or falls (including singles) is more training in the dog following the gun like swamp said. You can do that off season with bumpers and a helper. In a remote sit I never had the dog any further from the action as I was. Dog was just off to one side or the other but mainly did that when I was just hunkered in somewhere not in a brushed blind.

Nothing from the OP so far, we may just be talking to each other. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts