Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a barrel length of 22in and a full choke ok for ducks, the gun is a win. mod 12 12ga i also have one with an imp.cyl.(26in barrel) and i cant bring down jack with it. So i am going to try the 22in barrel. :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
A few questions to ask. Have you pattern these 2 barrels? Change youre load? tried different shot size?

You might be having holes in your pattern with the load that you are using. I myself would perfer the 26 over the 22" just for the fact that the long barrels for me handle better. I do like the 20" bbl that I have for jumping rabbits or squirrels but for wingshooting and waterfowl, the longer barrels works much better.

BTW: I shoot a Benelli with 28" barrel and IC and drops ducks like they where ran over with a mac truck if I use #2 or #2 shot. #4 leaves a few cripples that needs a follow up shot.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
22" may be a little too small - no real way to 'track' the birds and allow for swing through. I like the 26" though - alot. I only have one gun that length - all others are 28's. The 26" allows enough sight plane and has balance for a quick swing.

I agree with NOWAY, try to figure out the load that is best in your gun. I have never spent the time nor dollars to pattern my gun with a slew of shot sizes, brands, chokes and shell lengths, but I do know what shell works for me in my guns - and not always the same gun to gun. You are in the middle of a puzzle right now, but with some work on the skeet range and some basic patterning, you'll figure it out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help.Yes i patterned the 26 .I am in my teens and go "pond hopping " more than sitting in a blind,so would this be a reason to think about a diffrent choke or load.I have done ok with #4 and #2.When i patterned,it for some reason,most of the shot was just to the right.Should i just do more patterning and more shooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i shoot a 20 gauge 3 inch mag. with a 22" bbl and a full choke and at 20 yards with steel #4's have a 8 inch pattern. i had to pattern my shot gun cuz i bought hevi shot and it sucked then i patterned the steel and was surprized ant how much i hit now that i patterned my shot gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've shot with 24,26, 28 30 and 36 inch barrels in 12g and my opinions are as follows. i wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 24 i just don't think they pattern well, 26 is a nice size with open choke for shooting teal on a flight pond where the action is close in and fast, it means ease of movement when shooting at some fast moving targets. 28 inch and half choke really is a jack of all trades, good for some ranging shots but still nicely maneuverable good for mallard and pigeons and the odd bit of pheasant shooting as well. as for 30 this is the size i would use on a goose flight over stubble where the birds are low with again a half choke it gives you a bit more poke to get those canadas as they glide over. Now as for 36 i have a bolt action marlin goose gun fully choked in 36 inch which i use for cripple stopping when punt gunning. it really does have the extra range and tight patterning to get those injured ducks before they get away, again it is good with 2 ounce cartridges for long shots at geese and ducks, and with some really large cartridges it does foxes a serious nasty. it is however unwieldy and a horrible gun to shoot but it definately serves it's purpose well.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm from the UK as well. I always use 28" or 30".
Any longer and you don't have the option of a faster swing if a quick crossing teal comes in! Any Shorter and you are decreasing the range at which you can shoot the duck at. Also it gives you the option of shooting at higher birds with longer barrels. Or if a large skene of geese come over (which you always pray for. Just the little voice on the wind) and you need just that little bit more of a tighter shot pattern at range. I use a Beretta Extrema with 28" barrels. And a 1/2 choke for duck. Optima chokes 3/4 for geese which are proofed for steel shot all the way up to X-Full!
Never shot a shotgun with less than 24" barrels as that is the minimum Barrel length in the UK. Wouldn't shoot with it if it was anyway. But for Skeet trap shooting.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
:idea: 1 thing not mentioned is muzzle blast. They are MUCH louder witha 24" or shorter barrel :shock: Deafening actually. I was in a pit blind 1.5 years ago--the guy in the pit over from me hada 24" with 3.5" HV goose loads---I hit the bottom on the blind it hurt so bad... :evil: Your buddies will absolutely hate you and if you fire a shot into the wind-you will understand why.

Conversely the longer the barrel the quieter they are. There is a guy up here making 50" barrels for hunting close to homesin the suburbs--hardly any report at all.

For waterfowling the 26-32" barrels are best IMHO, with the longer barrels excelling at long shots for crossing or pass shooting.

:idea: As for your missing, how much do you practice with sporrting clays and duck tower? Look at pro baseball players--they practice every single day before the game...and many guys wonder why they do not shot well :roll: If you can not hit clay targets consistantly-you sure as heck will not hit fowl any better....

·
Registered
47 Posts
h2o I think Im just going to follow you arould the forums and be the parret! I have noticed extreme differences in shooting fowl when I dont shoot my 5 stand on a regular basis. As for the 22" barrel, (ROFL) do you have problems finding people to hunt with? The blast from that must be crazy! I know that I would not want to hunt next to someone with a barrel that wont get out of the blind... LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts