Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've shot with 24,26, 28 30 and 36 inch barrels in 12g and my opinions are as follows. i wouldn't bother with anything smaller than 24 i just don't think they pattern well, 26 is a nice size with open choke for shooting teal on a flight pond where the action is close in and fast, it means ease of movement when shooting at some fast moving targets. 28 inch and half choke really is a jack of all trades, good for some ranging shots but still nicely maneuverable good for mallard and pigeons and the odd bit of pheasant shooting as well. as for 30 this is the size i would use on a goose flight over stubble where the birds are low with again a half choke it gives you a bit more poke to get those canadas as they glide over. Now as for 36 i have a bolt action marlin goose gun fully choked in 36 inch which i use for cripple stopping when punt gunning. it really does have the extra range and tight patterning to get those injured ducks before they get away, again it is good with 2 ounce cartridges for long shots at geese and ducks, and with some really large cartridges it does foxes a serious nasty. it is however unwieldy and a horrible gun to shoot but it definately serves it's purpose well.

hope that helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.