Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new yellow lab, she is 10 weeks old. She is mostly an outside dog, she comes in for a little playtime before bed but lately she really whines when i put her in her kennel in the Garage at bedtime. Should i leave her outside at night? she has a doghouse and I live in San Diego where the weather is mild. My wife does not want her in the house (for now) but she is warming up to her. The Garage is warm and has carpet on the floor what should I do? This is my first dog and I need some input please.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I HAD MY PUP IN THE GARAGE KENNEL FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS OR SO. EVERYTHING WORKED OUT JUST FINE WITH THAT. HE NOW SLEEPS ON THE FLOOR NEXT TO MY BED. MY WIFE DECIDED TO LET HIM IN ONE NIGHT WHILE I WAS GONE AND AFTER THAT IT HE DECIDED OUTSIDE SUCKED. HE STAYS OUTSIDE WHEN WE ARE GONE BUT STILL SLEEPS INSIDE.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The right thing here is what you want it to be. The dog will be fine outside or inside. The question is will you be ok? When I got my first one I said hunting dog stay outside she does not need to come in and where is she now inside running the house. She is just over a year old now and had been great except for the past couple of weeks. She has decided she wants the stuffing inside the comforter and whatnots all around the house. Why she has not done this before now I dont know. But she still has her kennel inside and gets put there when she is bad or we leave (backyard is under construction for the past few months so i cant lock her up back there).

Keep us updated with the progress everything will turn out ok for ya :thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well at least you haven't had to make the really tough decision, do I buy that king size bed or not. I bought one, the dogs love it. It's like an eskimo village around here.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
brucemacp said:
Well at least you haven't had to make the really tough decision, do I buy that king size bed or not. I bought one, the dogs love it. It's like an eskimo village around here.
I got a queen and sometimes thats not enough.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The wives will always come around and surprise you. Back this summer before my ole 13 year old Boykin died. His last two weeks, my wife gave up the bed and let me and my ole Duke have it.
Give the wife time. Let her bond with the pup, and she will come around.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate all your help. I hope my wife does come around. I think she is starting to break a little......

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think we all tried to do as the book says. A hunting dog stays out, it will make a better Hunting dog. He went away for 4 months for training and was missed terribley. He's had the run of the house ever since he came home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.