Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's the off season now, the weather is bad, and since I'm at home more I am looking to have some fun with my dog now that we're not hunting.

Does anyone know of a good training progression to teach a dog to bring beer from the fridge? I figure I might as well put my pup to work some how. Bringing beer is better than most things she brings me these days while I'm watching TV. I've seen dogs do it before and thought it was the coolest thing.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know about you, but if I taught my dog how to access our fridge she would pretty much ransack that muthah. :eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have never done it but i know of a buddy that taught his to get beer out of an ice chest for him. He start out making her retrieve an empty can, then opened the lid of the ice chest and would throw the can in there , the he tied a piece of fishing string to the lid and would throw the can in and close the lid before sending her, when she figured out how to open it he would put the beer in and work it like a blind retrieve. Some how she can even tell the difference between a coors lite and a miller lite.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I bet a hard mouthing problem could cause a real mess.

Mine knocks over beers outside and then gets to drink the spillage. I am not sure I want him trained to bring the beer. He might figure out whats in it and help himself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My lab is a beer nut too. I would have a drunk dog walking around if I taught her how to get into the fridge/cooler. Plus I am almost positive I would have contention around midnight rummaging through the leftovers for a snack.

·
Registered
233 Posts
:toofunny:

I taught my GSP to open the fridge and get things--I started by tying a towl to the door handle and then telling the dog to fetch. It took a couple repatitions, but he finially got it---I was having a blast and was well on my way to having my dog fetch drinks for me---Till one day I came home and what hadnt been eaten was spoiled from the fridge being left open all day.

I was in college and restocking the fridge took all of what little money I had.

:withstupid:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.