Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How’s it going guys, im new to duck hunting and i was looking for some answers to a few questions i have.
  • How do you know when to start scouting?
  • Where in central FL (Polk) is good for duck hunting?
  • how do you know where to put your blind? between roosting and loafing spots?
  • i know public access lakes etc are legal to hunt, but can you just be off the side of the road?

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
How’s it going guys, im new to duck hunting and i was looking for some answers to a few questions i have.
  • i know public access lakes etc are legal to hunt, but can you just be off the side of the road?
Chris - duck hunting is fun but challenging and a lot of work to be successful in most cases. Quick answers to big questions:
    • Think you want to see all year what ducks are doing, where they like to be, what attracts them there and why'd they'd be there in season. Just ahead of and during season, all the time.
    • Any public area unless you can secure private land permission. Study your state website hard. If you find a great spot, don't talk about that spot on the internet. Duck hunting is competitive, loose lips sink ships. * See scouting
    • In areas ducks are using for roosting or loafing or feeding. In between these spots would generally mean they're just travelling past it to get to where they want to be. That is where you want to be, blind or not (if hidden into landscape)
    • Check your state regulations and Natural Resoucres hunting pages. It spells it out.
I'd suggest you read through old posts in the Florida forum to learn. There is some great info out there.

Reactions: ChrisR17

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris - duck hunting is fun but challenging and a lot of work to be successful in most cases. Quick answers to big questions:
    • Think you want to see all year what ducks are doing, where they like to be, what attracts them there and why'd they'd be there in season. Just ahead of and during season, all the time.
    • Any public area unless you can secure private land permission. Study your state website hard. If you find a great spot, don't talk about that spot on the internet. Duck hunting is competitive, loose lips sink ships.
    • In areas ducks are using for roosting or loafing or feeding. In between these spots would generally mean they're just travelling past it to get to where they want to be. That is where you want to be, blind or not (if hidden into landscape)
    • Check your state regulations and Natural Resoucres hunting pages. It spells it out.
I'd suggest you read through old posts in the Florida forum to learn. There is some great info out there.
wow, thanks for all of that info! definitely helps a lot more than you think. i couldn’t find a forum for florida but i may not have looked well enough. i’ll look again. also, are there ducks in florida year round? or do they only come during season, when they migrate?

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
wow, thanks for all of that info! definitely helps a lot more than you think. i couldn’t find a forum for florida but i may not have looked well enough. i’ll look again. also, are there ducks in florida year round? or do they only come during season, when they migrate?
These are the State Forums

Yes, states have ducks year round. Migrations bring in migrators but how many and where depends on several factors beyond your knowldge until that time is here. They typically move based on food and weather. Local ducks are what you're looking for early season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are the State Forums

Yes, states have ducks year round. Migrations bring in migrators but how many and where depends on several factors beyond your knowldge until that time is here. They typically move based on food and weather. Local ducks are what you're looking for early season.
awesome, thanks again for all the info! it helps a ton. i can’t wait till season comes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts