Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been huntin deer for goin on 6 years an have decided to expand the game i pursue. Me an a friend are gonna go quail huntin an stuff when we get our licenses. Ive been lookin for a good shotgun to get, but unfortunately bein 15 theres definately a price limit..i've been workin my ass off mowin yards and have managed to save about $500. I was wondering whether to get a pump or semi auto, i've heard semi autos are known to jam, but they are more expensive therefore better than a pump..please tell me what u think..an what a good gun would be for around that price....like i said im plannin on usin it for quail an maybe even try sum duck huntin...all comments appreciated!
THanks
-Matt

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Remington 870. That is the gun I started with, and the price is great too. You should have enough to buy it and some decoys or something else. Remington pumps are cheap and reliable. Also look into a Benelli Nova. Benelli makes a nice gun. Semi Autos are nice, but for a starter gun I would go with a cheap pump. 3" would probably be all you need. For quail and a little duck hunting, you shouldn't need anything bigger than a 2 3/4" shell or maybe a few 3".

·
Registered
271 Posts
ks_waterfowler is right on with his advice to get an 870. Many winged creatures have fallen from the sky due to the business end of an 870, probably more so than ANY other make/model of shotgun...ever.

Having taken the same path as you (deer to birds) a few years back, I had to add some shotguns to my collection of rifles. My advice would be to go ahead and buy the Super Mag Express so that you have the 3.5 inch option. Never know when you might discover some pent up anger towards a goose or two. Paying a bit more and getting the 3.5" capable 870 will give you a gun that you can hunt ANYTHING with, and it will serve you well for many years. You'll still have money left over for decoys and steel shot.

I like pumps as opposed to semi-autos for reliability AND I tend to shoot less. I take fewer 'parting' shots. Saves some money in ammo. For your first shotgun you can't go wrong with the 870.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
i got my 870 10 years ago when i was 18. it has dropped dove quail and duck. nice gun. 3 inch is all you need. but if you wanted 3.5 i would recommend the nova. i got a nova now and like it alot. both are well in your price range. good luck!

had

1 - 5 of 5 Posts