Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get the input of guys that are already reloading. What is the best benefit to reloading? I thought about it for heavy shot but it did not really appear to be much cheaper at all.

Can you reload your own steel with hotter loads to increase range and killing power? Better patterns or what?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Don't know about loading hotter or better loads, but unless you're buying the reloading stuff in huge quanities you're not going to safe a whole lot of money. I considered reloading because I shoot at least two times a week, but I figured it would save me about $5 a case. This is only after I pay for the reloader and buy shells so I have some hulls.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the math on hevi shot and it looked almost as expensive to load it as buy it. But I here the tails of 50 and 60 yards shots and wonder if I had a hotter load if the geese that I winged at 35 to 40 yards with steel would have been dead with a hotter load.

If so an equal price and more dead birds would be worth the work, but I was looking for some experience before wasting my money and time.

Also, How many time can a hull be reloaded?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My perspective comes from having a bunch of reloading equp. already, but you can pick up a mec 600 on ebay that will load 3" for 50-75.00. You need a powder scale also. You can get buy with this minimum equipment to load 2 3/4" and 3". This is the least expensive setup I know of. You can go to Ballistics Products, Reloading Specialties and Precision reloading to get prices on stuff. There are many other sources, but this will get you started. You need wad, primers, powder, and shot. Add in some hulls if you don't have a pile to use. I ran some preliminary numbers a couple of weeks ago because I am just getting in to the HV steel loads my self and I believe it was about $14.00 a box for 3" 1500+ loads for the first 100 loads. That was with 100 new hulls and two charge bars for steel and two different steel shot sizes. I would have the bars paid for after that and would have some shot left of each shot size and could reload the hulls several times, so the cost of the next 100 loads will drop. I have all the numbers, but just need to run them through some calculations to get a final per shell cost over say 500 loads. When I get a chance I will do it and let you know. One thing is that you need to find a real good local source for powder and primers as you don't want to pay hazardous shipping on them. There are a lot of loads out there that will go well over 1500 fps and you can't get those in the store!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reloading is something I started because I shoot trap. (25 shells/round) If I shoot a registered shoot that's 25 each round for singles 50 each round for doubles plus 25 each round for handicap. In a weekend that could be 300+ shells. The main reason to reload for hunting is that shell manufacturers do not load their shells anywhere near as hot as they could. They have to take into account the quality of all their customers guns and the care customers take with their guns. If they loaded them as hot as they could, they would have claims from customers whose cheap or badly maintained guns had broken or failed or worse exploded. They also have to look at the fact that if they sold you a shell that could knock a goose down at all realistic ranges with one shot they would sell 1/3 the amount of shells. Before next fall I will have a recipe for BB bismuth hi-velocity that will drop geese dead like the old days of copperplated lead.(in a 2 3/4 because that is all my favorite hunting gun will shoot)

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another question. I would guess you can only load steel and hevi into old steel and hevi hulls? I know when the warden up here stops me he will want to see my shells and I am not interested in trying to open an live hull to prove its steel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can load steel and hevi into virtually any hull. My experience is that most wardens have a magnet with them that they can hold next to a hull and verify it is loaded with steel/hevi. If not, its a cheap piece of gear to have with you vice opening one of you loads. Theoretically, guys can load lead into old steel hulls if they want to cheat the system, so just because you have a steel hull reloaded doesnt necessarily mean the warden isnt going to check your shell. I've never had a warden ask me to open a load, but I have had the magnet test done several times.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Besides the "hotter" loads, I like to reload because of the variety of recipes that you can create for any type of hunting situation. I also do it because I like to, it is a fun hobby to do in the evenings during the off season.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
and you know for a fact whats is the hull its your load. i shoot 7 1/2 1 1/2 ounce loads for dove i shot one throw the crony 1400fps. try finding a place to buy them bad boys

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Although you can save a little money per box on reloading, that alone is not cost effective. The reason I reload is because I can reload a better shell that you can buy, and load EXACTLY what I am wanting to shoot. Not buy what is available at the store.

Also most of the loads in the relaoding manuals are running a faster fps than you can buy at a store, giving you a little better killing power. Gives me something to do on rainy days. :getdown:

I have a buddy that load Hevi-Shot #7 - 1 1/8oz - 1500fps in a AA Hull. It is a duck killing SOB inside 35 yards. Pattern like a dove load, but has better killing power than lead. Goose Loads he uses #4's Hevi Shot and kills the Snows & Specs dead.

You will save a LITTLE money, but wherre you really benefit is in shooting a higher quality shell & the exact shell that fits your hunting need. cooter

·
Registered
38 Posts
I reload because there isn't a factory shell that comes close to my pet loads. When they come out with 1750 to 1835 fps loads that pattern like reloads then I'll save my time and buy a box. Until then, listen for that "CRACK" and you will know I'm on the marsh again.

Knowing you can drop ducks everytime on your 3rd shot :yes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
:toofunny: great Joel

I hunted with an old man yrs back. only gun he owned was an Ithaca Mag10. rloaded his hull for dove, 2oz 71/2's at 1400fps and skeet choke. Sounded like a howitzer put he never missed. Tried some 3" 12ga 9's on blackbirds was a lot of fun, not popular with the skeet crowd though.

Found a WinAA 20ga load that duped the 28ga skeet load, patterns great, very clean adn quiet and barely any recoil. that's what I started my 8yo son and wife out on. shoots like a .410 but patterns 1000% better, great confidence builder.

My reason to reload..........it's fun and I get what I want, not just what's on the shelf.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The reason I reload is that it is fun , you get "custom" loads for tour hunting style,and you save $$ Most of the cheap Fac loads are @ 1395 fps. 5years ago I did that with 800x powder. Now I can get a 2 3/4" hull with 1 1/8oz of #5 or #2 at 1475fps. Great for "decoys" or 50 yard ducks. I did not say Geese!! I have tried 3/4oz @ 1850fps; 7/8oz @1650fps . They kill but you have NO margin for error!! It is hit or miss!!You will have better luck 1 1/8oz of #5-#4 for close work and 1 1/8oz of #3 or #2 for your long range shots. The secret it matching your guns choke and the load to the YARDAGE it is to be used at!! Go get um. Later...Mr Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.