Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on? I need some advice from all you good ol' boys out there, i use to have a REM.870 but soon found out they BLOW! So just bought 2 new guns for this up-comming hunting season. First for drives, and duck. i got a benelli super nova 3.5, 28" shotgun. And second for the stand a Ithaca (deer slayer) 3" slug gun w/ scope.
So what im asking is if anyone has the guns, and what good and bad has come from them?

One last thing, after cleaning the firearm, should u dry-fire the gun to take preasure off the spring or not? me and my old man been fighting about this 4 years.

thanks

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Sorry it took a while to get back to you man. Yeah I love those guns no problems so far.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
nickm870 said:
Whats going on? I need some advice from all you good ol' boys out there, i use to have a REM.870 but soon found out they BLOW! So just bought 2 new guns for this up-comming hunting season. First for drives, and duck. i got a benelli super nova 3.5, 28" shotgun. And second for the stand a Ithaca (deer slayer) 3" slug gun w/ scope.
So what im asking is if anyone has the guns, and what good and bad has come from them?

One last thing, after cleaning the firearm, should u dry-fire the gun to take preasure off the spring or not? me and my old man been fighting about this 4 years.

thanks
What makes your 870 blow? Have never heard anything but recommendations for 870's. I've had one almost 16 years with nothing but operator error problems. I've paddled my boat with it, submerged it in saltwater and the thing is like a timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

To bad now you are gonna have to change your screenname to nickm870blows! Sorry couldn't help myself! :)

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Bunker said:
nickm870 said:

thanks
What makes your 870 blow? Have never heard anything but recommendations for 870's. I've had one almost 16 years with nothing but operator error problems. I've paddled my boat with it, submerged it in saltwater and the thing is like a timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

To bad now you are gonna have to change your screenname to nickm870blows! Sorry couldn't help myself! :)

That post was from 2003.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Bunker said:
nickm870 said:

thanks

That post was from 2003.
:lol: Look out! internet police! :lol3:

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Bunker said:
nickm870 said:

thanks

That post was from 2003.
So I'm a little behind the times! :( at that point it was only 6yrs old. Still never had an issue.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
wanapasaki said:
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Bunker said:
nickm870 said:

thanks

That post was from 2003.
:lol: Look out! internet police! :lol3:
No, bro just helping a guy out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Bunker said:
WoodyWhiffingMG said:
Bunker said:
nickm870 said:

thanks

That post was from 2003.
So I'm a little behind the times! :( at that point it was only 6yrs old. Still never had an issue.

:lol3: :lol3: You can find some juicy info in the old archives

·
Banned
11,694 Posts
Will address the "dry fire" to release springs controversy.

Years ago the spring steel was not as good and tended to lose its springiness over time.
Modern springs are far superior and you dont need to dry-fire your shotguns like grandpa did.
Ok?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
aunt betty said:

Years ago the spring steel was not as good and tended to lose its springiness over time.
Modern springs are far superior and you dont need to dry-fire your shotguns like grandpa did.
Ok?
Yeah but if the spring on the firing pin is engaged doesn't it loose its elasticity if it's not released over an extended period of time?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
if you're concerned about the whole dry firing thing, there is a very simple solutions....

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
GomerPyle said:
if you're concerned about the whole dry firing thing, there is a very simple solutions....

Nice, they even have springs.. Fancy! I just dry fire mine. Its a beretta :lol3:

·
Banned
11,694 Posts
wanapasaki said:
aunt betty said:

Ok?
Yeah but if the spring on the firing pin is engaged doesn't it loose its elasticity if it's not released over an extended period of time?
No.
These are the parts on my shotgun that I will worry about. The rest last a lifetime...or three.
1383685273882.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
aunt betty said:
wanapasaki said:
aunt betty said:

Ok?
No.
These are the parts on my shotgun that I will worry about. The rest last a lifetime...or three.
You've gone through a pin?! What kind of gun do you have?

·
Registered
191 Posts
wanapasaki said:
aunt betty said:

Ok?
Sort of like guys loading every AR magazine they have and let em sit around for years.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
wanapasaki said:
aunt betty said:

Ok?
No!!! That is a myth, the spring doesn't lose tension. Although, I do believe it should be relieved at the range on occasion.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
TrapperRob said:
wanapasaki said:
aunt betty said:

Ok?
No!!! That is a myth, the spring doesn't lose tension. Although, I do believe it should be relieved at the range on occasion.
I didn't go to the range once between seasons... Definitely showing :no:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts