Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Benelli M1 that one out of maybe 20 times will not release the shell from the magazine when you manually hit the side button shell release. Although it's several years old it has been shot very little. This is hopefully my home defense gun, any suggestions to get 100% reliability?

·
Registered
God, Family, Community, WATERFOWL HUNTING
65 Posts
I have a Benelli M1 that one out of maybe 20 times will not release the shell from the magazine when you manually hit the side button shell release. Although it's several years old it has been shot very little. This is hopefully my home defense gun, any suggestions to get 100% reliability?
Sounds like you have weak shell stop latch spring tension. You may want to buy a fresh one and give that a try. Excessive magazine spring pressure can also cause this issue. Another cause can be over-loading the magazine tube; some 2-3/4” loads can be short enough in a long magazine to allow 1 more round to squeak in than it should and it will bind that round against the shell stop latch.

Have you removed the shell stop bar and examined the face of the shelf that contacts the hull base? Sometimes they are finished rough and cause too much drag on the hull base, causing failures to feed. I have had to polish some up before on top of increasing or decreasing stop latch spring tension to get the gun to feed correctly and reliably.

The Super 90 Shell stop design is pretty simple, so there is not too much you have to trouble shoot. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have weak shell stop latch spring tension. You may want to buy a fresh one and give that a try. Excessive magazine spring pressure can also cause this issue. Another cause can be over-loading the magazine tube; some 2-3/4” loads can be short enough in a long magazine to allow 1 more round to squeak in than it should and it will bind that round against the shell stop latch.

Have you removed the shell stop bar and examined the face of the shelf that contacts the hull base? Sometimes they are finished rough and cause too much drag on the hull base, causing failures to feed. I have had to polish some up before on top of increasing or decreasing stop latch spring tension to get the gun to feed correctly and reliably.

The Super 90 Shell stop design is pretty simple, so there is not too much you have to trouble shoot. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks for your reply AA1776. I will look at the shell stop bar, and see if it's rough. I had not thought of that. As far as overloading the magazine, I have had it happen with only a couple of shells in the mag. with the plug out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts