Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input on the Nova's. As of right now I have an 870supermag, and i absolutely love it. Well, my b/d is coming up and i was thinking about getting a Nova. First off, how much did your Nova cost you? Do you like the way the shoot and feel? And finally, do they hold up well in the field, meaning if you get them wet, they will still fire and hold up. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
owned a 870 super and nova at the same time both kick like mules using 3.5's both are durable have slung mud with both neither failed me. But I perferred the nova especially after buying the recoil reducer. But fair warning in my search for the reducer I talked with alot of gunsmith's and found that service (parts) are slow in coming. Just my .02.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i paid 299 for mine all black. i've droped mine in the lake and then hunted all day with it. i can say one thing you can get it dirty and it still works. i'm not talking about not cleaning it just normal "hardcore" waterfowl hunting, catails mud dirt leaves no problems for me. i clean it after every hunt, i like to do it.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
from what I have read, the NOVA seems to be the best gun at that price you can get....(I think 870's are a waste of money unless the Wingmaster version)......but the NOVA is a 3.5" which will add to the pumping distance and I think that will be the most critical issue in handling the gun....operator failure....the gun will not fail....it's just something to get used to espcially if changing guns during the season. Cost appears to be dropping too....in fact, I got a Nova back in 1999 (DU Millenium Edition) and have not cracked the seal on the box hoping it maight be worth something someday...at least it has a low serial #....although it was 'free'., it doesn't look like the investment was positive.

·
Registered
256 Posts
i think you will be very happy with the nova. I have two friends that hunt with them and from what i have seen they are a very good gun. we hunt hard and need a gun that can stand up to nasty conditions. the nova has preformed well for them over the last 3 seasons. I still like my old mosseberg 835 for nasty huntin never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
369.00 for mine with the camo pattern and 28" barrel.

i love the gun and would recommend it to anyone. i alos have an 870 express and used to be a Mossberg Shooter. i think i can honestly say that this gun not only out performs those two, but others that cost alot more as well.

good luck and happy birthday

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
man, that must be a real serious trigger pull problem to pull you so far off a clay that you miss it with a shotgun!!! :laughing:

i think i might have to add that one to my "excuse list" for reasons why i missed the target.

excuse #110 (yeah, i have a lot of excuses..he he. ) dang!! normally i make that shot...but the trigger pull is too heavy and i kept pulling off the target!!

J/K gsp... to answer your question. no, i haven't had that problem with mine. at least, it doesn't seem to bother me if it is in fact "heavy".

·
Registered
6 Posts
ya i own 1 im a women who loves to hunt ducks with my hubby mines all black i think my hubby 330 for it i lik it doesnt have to much kik to it and it light

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Got mine at Bass Pro Shops during the Fall Sale...$199 plus tax and $10 background check. 26" in black synthetic...comes with three screw in chokes. I did have a misfire problem after an in depth cleaning. I over lubed the trigger mech...wiped her back down and havnt had a problem since. Ive hunted with it in the rain, and, rolled around with it in the mud. I say" get ya one". :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day! :cool:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i have heard a few people mention the recoil on the Nova. i just don't get it. i think my Mossy 835 hit harder. i have also shot 870's that hit pretty hard.

to each their own. some people are probably just more sensative to recoil than others.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think the nova takes a bit getting used to because it is longer and feels different than most guns. When I first shot it I thought it kicked like a mule. After I got used to fitting it I don't even notice it anymore and think it actually kicks less than an 870.

Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.