Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying not to spend a lost of money by shooting many types of shells. i was wondering what the best load(and shell size) and manufactrer. i have a benelli nova with a 26' barrel, also if someone can recommend a choke tube for that gun that would be great! thanks.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It is hard not to if you want it patterned right. I have seen two Rem. 870 pattern better with different chokes and the same load. Get some buddies together to pattern your gun. Everyone buys a box of something.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I got a Nova with 26" barrel, that I've patterned a little. For cheap dove loads, mine is deadly with the factory full choke. I patterned Kent faststeel 3" #2's and Winchester 3.5" #3's with the factory modified choke, and got respectfull patterns at 35 yards.I have used both these laods in the field. My patterns however, are a little low and a little right. I keep that in mind while judging my lead. I have had good results so far. Pattern a couple loads and you'll see what works best out of your gun. Y'all have a nice day!

:salude:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Crunk,
Start off with 3's or 4's with an improved cylinder. Odds are you should get a pretty good pattern with one of these shot sizes. If not try 2's next. Shoot a pattern at 20,30, and 40 yards. You will probally be fine with any of them under 35-40 yards. Look for a pattern without holes in it. Don't just go for the tightest pattern.

Also, I know some people don't like them,but, you cannot find a better deal than the new Winchester High Velocity X-pert loads. You can get 3" loads with 1 1/4 of shot at 1400fps or 1 3/8 of shot at 1550fps in 3 1/2" for a very good price (Cabelas and Macks). My group has gone to them almost exclusively. They are not a great 55-60 yard load, but, then no steel shot is. And, I dare say I would hate to be a duck that comes within shooting range in front of our decoys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.