Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it seems to be kinda simple i just need a little help. i am torn between a Benelli SBEII and a Beretta 391. i dont know which one to buy. i have never shot the SBEII however i have heard good things about it. our gun smith here in TIfton says that the Beretta out sales the Benelli 3-1 just looking for some thoughts.
-thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
My next purchase will be the benelli SBEII. I have held and pulled and sat in a coffin blind witht he berreta xtrema , win X2, and browning gold hunter. The SBEII was the lightest and mounted the easiest for me in mock situations next on the list is the browning gold hunter. I did not like the balance, or lack of, on the barreta or the win x2; they did not pull up and feel as good as the benelli and browning.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
personally I would probably not purchase either....for one thing no one needs a 3.5" gun.....but that is not the question....if you can afford one and justify the expense, either one will do the job....the most important issue are fit and feel - for you!

and btw.....there sure are alot of each on the classifieds of most every waterfowling forum.....I wonder why!!????

·
Registered
27 Posts
No one needs a 3.5" gun? I tell you what, you come and shoot at some of these late season Honkers, We get here in minnesota. I agree the 3" will do the trick, but there is nothing better than a 3.5" for knocking em down. I shot a 3" all my life and went to a Benelli this year shooting 3.5" and there is no comparison. The guys shooting the 3" are the same guys usually chasing around the cripples. Also as far as Benellit vs. Beretta, I would go with the sbeII, Both are awesome guns but I know alot of people with the Benelli and its really hard to find anyone that has had bad luck, everyone seems to like them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a SBE in left hand and love it. I went from a mossberg 835 and had my hit percentages almost double. The gun works great. The only problem I have had is shooting skeet, You need to use at least 1 1/8 loads to ensure proper functioning. The 1 ounce loads don't have enough recoil to work consistently.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
demohead....I disagree about needing a 3.5" shell for geese or ducks....I was on a trip in CT visiting family this past weekend....on Friday pm I took two geese with two shots - each 2 3/4" hevi 6's....the first was dead in the air and the second had one flop on the water before it expired. The most important issue is shooting ......and a solid hit will take the game....this is followed by calling a shot that is within proper range for a clean kill....and third is the fit of the gun for accurate shooting.

What advantage is a 3.5" to the regular waterfowler? In fact, what are the disadvantages? They 'promote' longer range shooting in the belief that a large payload will have killing impact....and this is disasterous with many injured birds thought to be shot at in range. The velocity is what kills with steel. Range is not effectively increased just due to a larger payload. The shot does not maintain it's velocity at a greater distance than a smaller shell's load. Rather a smaller payload moving at a faster speed will kill as effectively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't speak for the Beretta, but I've hunted with a Browning Gold 3.5" for the past seven or eight years and while I still like the gun's fit and feel, I'm tired of its late season malfunctions -- the colder, the wetter, the larger the shell = higher probability of a shell jamming (and yes, I've tried everything from cleaning the gun religously with very light oiling to using a more moderate amount of oil on the action and its design and gas mechanism simply don't function properly 100% of the time). My hunting buddies all shoot the Benelli SBE and have never had ANY problems in the same weather conditions. Guess what -- this afternoon I'm picking up my new SBE II to enjoy the rest of the North Zone season.

Re 3" versus 3.5", I tend to agree that on big burly late season geese you may not NEED a 3.5" magnum (I've shot plenty with 3" too), but I find my clean kill ratio is simply better with the 3.5" -- especially when combined with Hevi-Shot 2's or 4's (I use all my old steel shot for nothing but clay targets). I don't think I take longer shots or shoot any straighter with 3.5 inchers, but geese seem to die easier. My non-scientific view anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was in the market for a new shotgun and I really wanted an automatic that shot 3 1/2 shells. Alot of people say that you dont need them, and you really dont...but its fun to be able to shoot them if you want them and that in my mind was as good as a reason as any to go with a gun that could.

After some serious shopping and shooting friends guns I got a SBE II and I love it. Im not having any trouble shooting the thing and have been doing better on the skeet and clays range than usual. Not too mention hammering those grren heads. What I was going to say about the Beretta was that I am a decent sized guy, 6'1 180, and I didnt like shouldering the thing. It seemed really big and I had trouble getting a good fit with it on my shoulder. I dont know if youve gotten to shoot one, but its a must berfore you buy....anyways, my two cents

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.