Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Supernova, and love it. But I continually find myself wishing I had more long range for waterfowl. Which brings me to the all so frequently asked question of which choke is the best? I'm looking for input from Benelli shooters, but won't totally ignore others. Also any input on what size, brand, etc. of steel pattern best with given choke would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
depending on what your shooting, but with steel and the benelli MOD choke you can get 40 yards

if you put in tungsten matrix or something heavy density you could go further if u pattern and the shot is small/soft enough to use IM

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I shoot a SN and the best combo I have found is a Carlson IM extended for just about everything. Not sure what long range means, but if you are planning on shooting past say 45 yards you are going to need to start working up special loads and patterns and choke combos so you can ensure a good even pattern at 50 and beyond. Realizing that at 25 yards your pattern is going to be tiny.

Some guys in here set there guns up to shoot long shots or cripples way out there and do most of the calling and only shoot when the other guys cant reach. In my opinion call them in close and shoot em in the lips. Dont worry about taking 65 yard shots cause although it can be done, work the birds and who knows maybe you will get a 20 yard shot and bust a double. Also calling and letting the birds work more you will learn more about what the birds react to and what doesnt work. My two cents and sorry for the ramble

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.