Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique problem and I need your help. I have shot Benelli for
about 12 years, first the M-1 Super 90 then the SBE and loved both of
them. A gunsmith friend of mine suggested that the new hottest gun on
the market is the Beretta Extrema in 3 1/2 and I should have it.

I explained to the war dept that if I got the Extrema I would either sell it
or the SBE. She said OK so I bought it. Before I ever got a chance to
pull the trigger I broke my arm and can't even hold it up and won't for a
couple of months. War dept is getting pushy I have to make up my mind
NOW. How can I, I havn't been able to shoot the Beretta.

Help me out gang, which one should I keep, the Benelli has served me
well, kicks a bit but that's just part of the game. The Beretta has me
facinated and I don't want to make a mistake, your input would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
YOU SHOULD HAVE SOLD ONE BEFORE YOU BOUGHT THE OTHER. THAT WAY THE WAR DEPT. WOULD NOT HAVE BROKEN YOUR ARM.

A REAL MAN WOULD KEEP BOTH. GUNS I MEAN.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with the Beretta. I bought one this past September and love it my buddy has a benelli and really enloyed shooting my Beretta while we were duck hunting in Manitoba. The beretta shooting 3.5" shells has far less recoil than the benelli shooting the same load. They are both excellent guns made by the same parent company (beretta) I have shot over 7oo rounds with out a problem, and have not even cleaned it yet. Plus it has the added bonus of a secret shell. Good luck with your choice, I always tell the War dept. that I'm selling a gun to buy gun and never can seem to find a buyer!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thought might be to "port" the Benelli to drastically reduce the recoil. Plus, if you are shooting HeviShot, the 3 inch #4 loads are pleanty for Geese out to 65 yards. IMO, there really is no need for 3.5 inch shells.

Under this scenario, you would recoup most of the cost of the Beretta as it would be sold in "unfired" condition.

I have a dozen Berettas, both automatic and O/U. I purchased a Benelli M1 Field and had the barrel ported. Will not own another Beretta automatic. The savings in cleanup time and no-jams have sold me on the inertia (vs. gas) system. I ran over 4,000 shells through the M1 in Argentina and it performed flawlessly - where on previous trips, the trusty 390's had been tempermental and required a great deal of cleaning after each day's shooting.

Either way - you have two fine guns. This was just my experience. :wink:

Brooks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd go Benelli all the way. But thats just me. Your life your choice. Count the votes. But 3 1/2's hurt after a while. BENELLI POWER!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have a 391 and love it. You can shoot 2.75 and 3 in shells at ducks, geese, and crows (yes crows). My gun has also had probably close to 800 rounds fired through it and has no problems. All my friends shoot SBEs and they love them. Either way you have a fine gun. The only drawback is the BERETTA DOESN'T RECOMMEND HEVISHOT BEING SHOT THROUGH THE BARREL. COULD SCRATCH THE CHROME LINING THEY SAY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a ported 391 and a ported SBE. The 391 still kicks a little harder. Since both are made from the same parent company my two have the same temporment. They do not like cold though the SBE seems to be more willing to work with it. Neither is worth anything if you get dirt in the mix.... IMO pick up a second job for a month hand the WAR dept both checks and call it a day!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
What I do is tell the war dept the new gun I want is $500or so more then it actualy is , then I tell her Im going to trade my old gun in , I buy the new gun show her how much I saved with my trade in ,and end up with a gun safe full of guns

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the AL 391 and love it. I think the SBE is an excellent gun as well. My only concern with the extrema is that it is a bit bulky. I have two buddies that have them and that is the only complaint.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts