Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,027 Posts
I have dropped my nova in the water twice, it lays in the mud all the time, I shoot dirty shells and haven't cleaned it once this season. No fail yet..

What do most all the big time guides and waterfowlers shoot? Around here the goose pits are lined with SBEs. They must do something right.

· Registered
40 Posts
I own both a benelli nova and first edition Super Black Eagle. They are both fine guns.....the Nova is without a doubt one of the ugliest shotguns on the market but, it does excactly what it is supposed to do...WORK!

The SBE is only a year old, (no malfunctions to date), I use it like a duck gun...then I clean it after each outing. No problems. For what it is worth, I also own a Browning Gold auto....no problems with it either.

Take care of your equipment, it will take care of you!!

Happy Holidays

· Registered
6 Posts
I've been using Benelli's shotguns for the last 6 years, great guns, the only negative side I have experienced was to get replacement parts, it took 6 months to get a MonteFeltro recoil spring, it had to be ordered from Italy, that recoil spring was unavailable nowhere in NORTH AMERICA.

I am seriously thinking switching to another gun brand.

· Registered
46 Posts
No problems at all out of my SBE II's. One has been shot alot and the other only a few shells thru so far. I have hunted here, SD, and AL this year with one of them in different weather conditions with a single problem. Patterns Great with factory Crio and aftermarket chokes, and kicks the same maybe even less than a BGH ,I rarely ever use anymore. A great shotgun. Wifes MI 20ga is flawless as well.
But if push ever came to shove, I'd still pick a BSS over any shotgun out there, or any I own.

· Registered
887 Posts
Well you know what........I use a Mossberg 835 ulti mag and I shoot a **** load of shells through it...(relativly new to waterfowling and I miss alot)...it goes through horrible conditions and I have never had problems with it...never! I've had it for 7 years now. Maybe I have a "good" Mossberg, but I'd put it up against anyones $1000 gun for servicability. The Marines use Mossbergs to shoot at humans, which I did in my 10 years, so I figured why not when it came to animals..?? NO one and I mean NO one has put there shotgun through what we put our Mossbergs through.
Just wanted to give you guys something else to jaw about on here because this argument on guns is pure 100% opinion and I believe ANY shotgun in a capable hunters hands will kill.
Everybody be safe and goodluck with their pusuits. :salude:

· Registered
824 Posts
im with u duck plucker if u guys take that terrible of care of your guns theres something wrong i mean u cant Gripe when they jam if u let it soak water up in the bottom of the boat of drop it when ure settin the dekes ever heard of leaving the gun in the blind when ure setting them out :toofunny:

· Registered
926 Posts
My SBE is awesome--I'm just a lousy shot. :oops: Can withstand a tremendous amount of abuse and cleans up easily. Have a knowing gunsmith drill a hole through the bottom of the stock, about 1/8th worth, up and through where the spring is. This will allow drainage for all you non-sticky fingered fellers. The recoil is rather rough in the off season with clays---funny dont notice it after pulling on ducks.

· Registered
9 Posts
yeah i've liked my nova but it's time to pick up an auto anyone want it otherwise I'll trade it in on the new gun. It's a great gun but i want an auto. I put a carlson long range choke in and it helped with the short barrel to get a tighter patern to kill geese.

· Registered
2,690 Posts
Beautiful....I forget who it was who once said, "Opinions are like a**h***'s.....everyone's got one" Whoever it was couldn't be more correct! There are as many opinions as there are guns, if not more. Fact is, some people know how to care for their guns. Then there are the others that couldn't give a flying hoot about them cause, "hey, whats another $1200 bucks? I'll just buy a new gun next year!" And there are many different types of users in between. SBE, SBE II, extrrema, or 870 pump, it is the shooter, not the gun. But, thats just my two cents!

· Registered
286 Posts
duckplucker said:
Some of you dont seem to take to good of care of your guns... please tell me that after you drop them in mud, ect you check to make shure the barrel isnt plugged. if not thats just ridiculous. I know $/?t happens but there is a lot of dropping of guns, etc going on.
I was wondering the same thing.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
I love how quick people are to judge guys on the web. Ever had to walk out to an island or walk through puck to get a shot on a cripple? Yep, I am hard on guns, that is why I have an upland gun and a waterfowl gun....
Anyone here ever actually sit in a few inches or a foot of water while hunting? Sit in the reeds?????? I hunt about 50 times a year, so if I have dropped my gun 5 times out of 500 times hunting its not that bad. No one ever said when they drop it it's loaded.

My gun is unloaded until shooting hour, and unloaded immediately after, same goes for anyone I am with... how many days until the season starts again???

:salude:

Duckhunter16 said:
duckplucker said:
Some of you dont seem to take to good of care of your guns... please tell me that after you drop them in mud, ect you check to make shure the barrel isnt plugged. if not thats just ridiculous. I know $/?t happens but there is a lot of dropping of guns, etc going on.
I was wondering the same thing.

· Registered
286 Posts
I was not judging anyone. I was just thinking that some of these guys who have really nice guns sometimes don't treat them as good as they should in my opinion. I have a Mossberg pump and a Benelli nova. And I will admit to not treating them perfect so I really can't judge some one for the way they treat their guns. But it really makes no since to me why some one would spend $1,200 or more on a gun and then treat it like crap. And for your information there has been more than once that I set on a bucket in clump of reeds in 2ft of water for 10 or 11 hours just so there wouldn't be any prejudging going on.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.