Duck Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It mite only be 1 lb thats a lot of weight your talking 1/8 of a guns weight I picked one up it felt nose heavy it just didnt swing right take any gun add a pound it not in the correct spot its not going to feel right pick up a m2 12 ga it feels natural .

·
Registered
977 Posts
BGipson said:
cawaterfowlslayer said:
WEll I got to the gun store this weekend and I was able to try all of the guns on my list. I think I have narrowed it down to the Versa Max, the sx3 and the A400 xtream. I do have to say though that "wow" the versa max is heavy. SO any reviews on these three or storys of hunts with them or anything like that would be great. Thanks
The VM is a tiny bit heavier (>1lb) than the rest but this is part of what factors into it having the lightest recoil. I have the VM but have not had it for a season yet so no "true" field report. I have heard good things about the sx3 but have never used 1. The A400 is completely foreign to me as I have never known anyone who had 1 or heard anything about them before I came here. Personally I wouldn't trade my VM for anything. Glad to see you aren't drinking the kool-aid that goes with the "B guns"! :lol3:
The "kool-aid" statement doesn't apply when the results are proven

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Cline said:
BGipson said:
cawaterfowlslayer said:
WEll I got to the gun store this weekend and I was able to try all of the guns on my list. I think I have narrowed it down to the Versa Max, the sx3 and the A400 xtream. I do have to say though that "wow" the versa max is heavy. SO any reviews on these three or storys of hunts with them or anything like that would be great. Thanks
The VM is a tiny bit heavier (>1lb) than the rest but this is part of what factors into it having the lightest recoil. I have the VM but have not had it for a season yet so no "true" field report. I have heard good things about the sx3 but have never used 1. The A400 is completely foreign to me as I have never known anyone who had 1 or heard anything about them before I came here. Personally I wouldn't trade my VM for anything. Glad to see you aren't drinking the kool-aid that goes with the "B guns"! :lol3:
The "kool-aid" statement doesn't apply when the results are proven
Don't want to debate it but my dad's SBEII wouldn't cycle light loads out of the box and the VM would... VM has less recoil than the SBEII... VM was $1250, SBEII was $1450... see my point?

·
Registered
882 Posts
BGipson said:
Don't want to debate it but my dad's SBEII wouldn't cycle light loads out of the box and the VM would... VM has less recoil than the SBEII... VM was $1250, SBEII was $1450... see my point?
Not all VM's are that way tho. My partner has one that he's shot a good 1500 rounds thru, and still has problems cycling 2 3/4" hulls. Last Wednesday(July 4th), we shot 200 rounds at sporting clays. He tried using some 1 1/8oz 8's @ 1300fps factory Winchesters, and they absolutely would not operate in his VM. Also found that it doesn't care for factory Rio target loads either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ya but I found that the inertia systems have way more recoil than the gas guns like the A400,SX3,Versa max ext. THe SBE 2 point nicley I have to say that but the recoil just isnt there. Also If you run hyper sonic through a SBE II it breaks it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
The SBEII is a great gun, it is reliable as well, but I just sold mine this spring after several years of shooting it because of the recoil.
I bought the Beretta A400, and there is no comparison.
It's not just the fit of the A400, which is perfect for 'ME', but I have a hard time understanding the claims of an SBEII being light on recoil.
You don't have to shoot a hundred rounds thru the two guns to know. You know right away!
Do the short test. A box of 3 1/2" loads thru both. Questions answered right then.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Fsbirdhouse said:
The SBEII is a great gun, it is reliable as well, but I just sold mine this spring after several years of shooting it because of the recoil.
I bought the Beretta A400, and there is no comparison.
It's not just the fit of the A400, which is perfect for 'ME', but I have a hard time understanding the claims of an SBEII being light on recoil.
You don't have to shoot a hundred rounds thru the two guns to know. You know right away!
Do the short test. A box of 3 1/2" loads thru both. Questions answered right then.
And you like your A400? Reliable low recoil?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well I went to the range today and shot the A400 and the Maxus, shot the Sx3 earlier. And wow! the maxus jammed 3 times berfore we could even get 20 shells through it plus the recoil wasnt the most favorable. The SX3 was nice,never jammed and shot pretty well , recoil was pretty good and it cycled everything. Then the A400. one word, Incredible, it had extremly low recoil,never failed and shot everything we put through it flawlessly. It was truley a great gun.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Cawaterfowlslayer,
I learned to shoot and hunt ducks in the south bay area before it was forever changed in the '70s.
I did most of my hunting there with a Winchester model 50 autoloader 28" mod barrel, and for some unknown reason I sold it, and for all these years since, thought I'd never see the like again......until the Beretta A400 Xtreme.
Nothing fits me as nicely as the A400, and I think it even superior to the model 50 for sweet, dead on shooting.

·
Registered
356 Posts
And wow! the maxus jammed 3 times berfore we could even get 20 shells through it plus the recoil wasnt the most favorable
Strange...I have hundreds of rounds through mine from game loads to heavy fowl loads and the gun has never failed me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Strange...I have hundreds of rounds through mine from game loads to heavy fowl loads and the gun has never failed me. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Glad you like yours, the people at the clay range said they had been getting mixed reviews about it. But I have to say the recoil was a bit of a punch with remington hypersonic and 3-1/2 inch winchesters. Especially next to the A400 which had minimal recoil with all the same loads and fired flawlessly. Sx3 was a good gun also never jammed and had fairly minimal recoil but not as much as the A400. But like I said glad you like yours I just couldnt let my self get one after the jams and higher recoil

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.