Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am bored I started thinking about blinds. I have always wanted a really cushy blind. My neighbor used to have some pretty nice blinds on his club that were made of wood and then fiberglassed. I don't know how old they were but they started leaking and fell apart. I imagine they had a few years on em. I knew another guy that tried building a blind the same way. He spent quite a few dollars, and went cheap when it came to glassing it. He basically threw his money and time away.

Right now I have cement cylinder blinds on my club. I have seen the metal blinds. My oppinion of those is the floor is very slippery and they just don't really impress me. At Auto life they have these new plastic blinds. They seem kinda cool, but they are very pricey, and from what I heard from the sales man, you have to dump alot of money into buying concrete to put on the floor and extra bags all around the thing to keep it from floating up.

So here is my question, what do you consider the best blind as far as comfort. Do you have any experience with fiberglass blinds, cement, or steel. Which ones last longer and what type would you buy if you had the choice? Anyone got any pics of extra cushy blind set-ups? Anyone ever make their own blind?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lately we have been putting the metal box blinds in at our club. They are basically three hole boxes but we put a dog platform in the middle spot and make a nice roomy two holer. We have them made at the welding shop in Gustine and pay something around $1200 per. The guy does a great job and rhino lines them inside and out.

They won't last as long as concrete "tube" style blinds, some of which we have had on our club for close to 45 years. I would guess maybe we can get 15 to 20 years out of them. We have had some now for 7 years and they look brand new.

I wouldn't go with the plastic because I worry the summer heat would start to make them brittle pretty quickly.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We have concrete blinds at our club, but at my Uncle's pond he has wooden blinds that are fiberglassed and sunken in the marsh. These blinds have sliding fronts and tops on them. They also have shelves(to put gear on) and a padded bench seat(to take a nap when it's slow)

Advantage: roomy, well hidden, and you can get out of the elements of the weather.

Disadvantage: can't see in all directions

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just watched Escape to the Wild on Versus. I want whatever blind they were using! It was my dream blind! It appeared to be metal, but I'm not sure of the material. It was a 3 man blind with steps to get down into it. It had a heater, stove for making breakfast and coffee, gun racks, plenty of space, padded seats, the works!

As for personal use, I've only dealt with the concrete cylinders and metal blinds when I used to hunt in Los Banos. The concrete cylinders were nice. The problem we had with the metal ones is that they ended up rusting after many years. We ended up having to take out a 2-man metal blind and replace it with concrete cylinders since the metal rusted all the way through.

·
Registered
109 Posts
we had 3 man concrete with steel lids installed last year by Machado backhoe service.They fab and install.they have 3 piece lids that we use the middle lid for the dog.You can also get outside dog box's.We also installed the flip it? covers.Very nice blinds

·
Registered
517 Posts
We have the old concrete barrel blinds with metal tops at my club. I totally hate em. Concrete tears your gun up as well. Too hard to put a heater in a single barrel blind too. I've always been partial to Yuba City metal tanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
the concrete pits
these seem way too small to me,
at least the ones I have been in.... and
they always seem to have water in them or
have to be cleaned out depending on there
placement.....

metal boxes
the ones whether its the 2/3man are very
nice, but I have a couple of issues with them...
calling with the call down at all gives it an echo
kinda.... and the box if not padded in some spots
can nick or scratch you gun.... ya ya....
so this season my partner put some old carpet
around the areas of the guns... and we put some
straw inside the blind and that made the calls
sound allot better.....
he also has hooks on the sides to hang stuff, camera
and stuff you don't want to step on.....
I can live without the heater, got too warm.....

old schooll tulies...
just kneeling or standing in them and watching
the birds work you as you call to them and being able
to move around and picking your shot is still very cool...
not a plush blind but fun non the less....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
El Pato said:
we had 3 man concrete with steel lids installed last year by Machado backhoe service.They fab and install.they have 3 piece lids that we use the middle lid for the dog.You can also get outside dog box's.We also installed the flip it? covers.Very nice blinds
I bought a couple cement blinds from them a couple years back. They make good blinds. I have not seen the type of blinds you are talking about. I might have to stop in and take a look.

I bought 2 single blinds from them and hauled them myself on a flat bed trailer behind my f-150. Next time, I will pay them to bring them out. That was a pretty scary ordeal, I pulled over to get something to eat and when I got out of the truck one of the tires on the trailer blew out. Luckily I was about a mile from my house, so I just walked back to the house grabed my floor jack and star wrench put em in my other truck drove down took the tire off. I was surprised the jack lifted the trailer up, it was barely able to. Then drove the tire down got it fixed. I was back on the road in an hour. Not to bad since I could have been stranded on the side of the highway, or worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts