Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying my first rifle. It will be mainly a deer hunting rifle, but I will own it forever and would like something that is versitle and could be used if I ever descide to moose or elk hunt. what would you guys choose factoring in price, availability of cartridges, shootability? I am an average sized guy, so I can handle pretty much any gun. By the way, I was thinking of the .308, but am just starting on my research so I am open to any suggestions. I am sure that some of you guys have a ton of knowledge on the subject. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
.308 is a little large for average sized whitetail but if you want something that is versatile its a great choice it's big enough to go up to largeer size game and it won't completely wreck an average size whitetail carcass if your thinking primarily things like deer I would say a .270 thats a good cartridge and flat shooting as heck if you have to make a longer shot but both rounds are good choices and are gonna be readily available.

·
Registered
361 Posts
the .308 with a barnes tsx is a deadly combination. The .270 is also a great rifle cant go wrong either way. The best thing you can do when you get a rifle is pratice as much as posible.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've hunted with the .270 and .308 for the last 30 years.
Both are awesome rounds and will do the same damage on deer.
Look at the 30.06 also, as it has a wider variety of bullet weights available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.