Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Kicks High Flyer! No doubt about it. You can run faster, jump higher, and shoot further with a Kicks than any other choke tube available. :rofl:

Ok the above statement may be a small exageration but I really do like the Kicks. A little more info would sure help so make a better suggestion.

What gun? What load? What is your intended target? What range do you shoot?

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Extended light Mod for ducks and extended Imp Mod for geese except for spooky snows use a Terror. Carlsons, Briley, Trulock and Colonials are all excellent choices but Carlson doesn't make a light Mod. Ned S

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't think that there is a specific answer to your question other than the one that shoots the best in your specific gun. I would do as Ned said and start with the LM, M, and IM with Carlson's or Brileys. If you want to spend the money the Terrors sound like the [email protected]#T but I don't have one. If you get a Patternmaster you will instantly be a skybuster. :smile:

·
Registered
618 Posts
The best choke is one that throws a well distributed pattern of at least 70 percent with the load you intend to use at the range you expect to do most of your shooting. Pattern your factory chokes before blowing a load of money on after-markets.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Wrong, percentages are not indicative of killing patterns the number of shot is. Here are a few examples of min killing patterns fairly evenly distributed for geese putting 5 pellets in the bird: Calculations are based on Sir Gerald Burrards article back in the '50's:
8lb goose 35 pellets, a 36% pattern with 1 3/8 oz of steel BB's
10lb goose 28 pellets, 29% pattern
12lb goose 23 pellets, 24% pattern
The bigger the bird the less pellets required in the circle to nail it with 5 pellets.

My friend can put 48 BB pellets fairly uniform in the 30" circle at 60 yds with his Xtrema and a CompNchoke. Ned S

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Ned S said:
Extended light Mod for ducks and extended Imp Mod for geese except for spooky snows use a Terror. Carlsons, Briley, Trulock and Colonials are all excellent choices but Carlson doesn't make a light Mod. Ned S
They must now - as I own one.

Nice folks over there at Carlson. Good customer service

To the question of which choke works best?

Well, I have seminole, carlson, colonial, terror and factory chokes for my mobile choked guns.

I've found that one choke will out perform another in depending on the gun. No surpise there.

So, if you stick to the names above (and include Briley and Truchoke) I would wager that you'll be okay. There is no "best" for ducks - as the variables in manufacture won't give you repeatable results from gun to gun at 35 yards.

During the season the chokes I use most are:
Skeet = hevishot
LM = birds under 30 yds
Terror .675 = geese (which I can't hit anyway) :oops:

I know this sounds goofy but I like to shoot sporting clays with a Terror .655. Make em go poof!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Woodyard said:
The best choke is one that throws a well distributed pattern of at least 70 percent with the load you intend to use at the range you expect to do most of your shooting. Pattern your factory chokes before blowing a load of money on after-markets.
i agree 100%. 70% patterns with correctly sized shot is a great goal. put in a factory i/c and try a bunch of loads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
donttreadonme said:
What gun? What load? What is your intended target? What range do you shoot?
I'll be shooting it out of a Winchester sx2, 3.5" steel loads, we dont really know what brand we'll be shooting, but we're going out to pattern with a lot of different brands to see what patterns best. We'll mainly be shooting geese, and a few ducks. All shots should be around, or under 30 yards.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
duck slayer02 said:
donttreadonme said:
We'll mainly be shooting geese, and a few ducks. All shots should be around, or under 30 yards.

Thanks,
David
Alright, I'm going to try to say this bluntly without sounding rude.

What in the heck do you need an aftermarket choke for if you're shooting geese at 30 yds? ?? I have an sx2. Put in your factory IC, load some 1's or 2's, and get to it. It's not difficult to achieve good patterns at that range with modern factory chokes, and a (possibly) slightly more evenly distributed pattern out of an aftermarket choke will have a negligible effect at that range. You hit the bird, it's dead. You want to increase your chances, go shoot some clays with that money.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I like the idea that you are getting em close. Ohsay is right try factories first you may be surprised. Wackem and stack em, best show on tv. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
If you are shooting them at 30 yds then all you need is 2 3/4" loads of steel 2's. Ned S who shot most of his geese this year with 7/8 oz of B's over decoys and couple out to 50 yds.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The answer to that has infinitely more to do with your shooting than the new choke. I spend countless hours reloading and patterning now compared to a few years ago and overall I'm about an 8.5% better shooter in terms of kill ratio because of it. All that stuff is just fine tuning. You might find a choke that holds good patterns out to ______ distance with what you like to shoot, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to kill them that far.

The non-factory choke I shoot most often for beyond 30 yards with my sx2 is the light modified precision hunter from trulock.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
duck slayer02 said:
If I would get an aftermarket tube, shooting a 3.5" shell, how far out could i kill them?

Thanks,
David
Steel BB's at 1550 fps, 32F and sea level will penetrate to kill to 65+ yds. Add 2yds to this distance for every 1000 ft in elevation. I shoot geese at 4000 ft. An Extended Imp Mod will generally hold the pattern to 50 yds quite well. For 50-60 yd shooting of snows I use a Terror choke. Minimum fairly uniform pattern to kill geese by weight in a 30" circle is as follows using 5 pellets per bird:
8lb--35 pellets
10lb-28
12lb-23
14lb-20
16lb-17
The bigger the bird the less pellets required in the 30" circl to put 5 pellets in it. Data is calculated from Sir Gerald Burrard's publication in the '50's. Ned S

·
Registered
608 Posts
I like the Kicks highflyer full choke with Kents 3.5 inch mag BB at 1650fps....a great combo..for passing snow geese....decoying Geese Mod Choke or Im choke....Honkers41

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.