Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what mouth call have you killed the most turkeys with or you like the best?

I have the new primos sonic dome but it just dont sound good but it has good reviews on it at cabels's

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I don't like any of the diaphrams that have the plastic dome piece, if this is what you are referring to. They are ok for the new caller, but they don't let you make all the other noises you need to be able to make. HS came out with a new line this year, that I was impressed with....their older calls were stiff and a little too big....the new yellow ones are awesome. MADD also has excellent diaphram calls, as does Knight and Hale....

Labs

·
Registered
342 Posts
You really have to buy a few and find out which ones work the best and fit the best for you. I use the sonice domes and love the tone and fit I get out of em. However, my father can't stand the sonic domes and typically uses the other styles from Primos. Both are very effective, but both might not be right for you. Also, I really had to break my calls in. Wear em down a bit and they fit and sound much better! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I bought a three pack of the Primos calls from Gander today. Each one is different. I wanted to be able to play with each one and figure out which one fit best, etc. It had an instructional CD with it, which was kinda nice since I'm somewhat of a beginner. IMO, the biggest factor with those three was which one fit best. The one that really was the best fit in my mouth, is the one I'll use the most. There were a few things that I could do with the other ones though (and couldn't with the other), so I'll be totin those along as well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That was the easiest call for me to pick up. I was showing a buddy mine the new calls I got the other day. The one that I liked the least as I was trying them out, happened to be the one that I can gobble with. I didn't realize that you could gobble with a diaphram until I did it listening to that CD. My buddy was torqued about it cause he can't do it. I told him it's the exact same thing as doing the feeding chuckle on a duck call. All he said was, "friggin duck hunters"! It really is though, and I think it sounds great.

·
2,741 Posts
I`ve killed more birds with a Presston Pittman Black Diamond diaphram. It is my go to mouthcall.
I think I`ve tried almost every mfg out there and all of the gimics. The bottom right criper draw in the fridge is full of diaphrams. About 3 years ago I was in Fayett Al and stopped at a store called the Gobbler Shack. I picked up two diaphrams out of there. A small company. The one call is SWEEEEEEEETTTTTT. I have tried to remember who made it but just can`t remember. I called the factory I was at and asked one of the guys I know to go over to the shop and pick me up a few more calls. But he said the went out of buisness. This will probably be the last year I will be able to use that call :thumbsdown: I`d do anything to find out what small company makes it

STUMP

·
Administrator
10,024 Posts
I been getting the best of the Quaker Boy mouth calls.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
i've yet to find a brand that actually makes better calls. every time a company comes out with a new call i give it a whirl just to see if i like it. i hate them dome calls though. they sound ok but you really are limited to what you can do. if i had to pick a favorite it'd prolly be cody or knight and hale. not all of their calls are worth a hoot but a few are pretty good. i am a really big fan of the local man. if there are local call makers in my area i generally support them and use their products. most of the time they are the best.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
birdslayer said:
Any of you guys gobble with a mouth call?
yeah i gobble, can do a crow caw, and an owl with my mouth call. i can also do a really loud squeal that will make em gobble when nothing else will. i have gotten to the point that i dont even carry an actuall locater call with me anymore.

·
2,741 Posts
DiscoDuck said:
Stump,
Did I catch that right, you keep em in the fridge? I've been wondering what the care or maintenance for the diaghrams is. Any recommendations?
All diaprhams are made of a latex or syntetic material. These products are very prone to dry rotting. To clean them use an alcohol free mouth wash. Alcohol will break down the latex. Use small toothpicks to keep the reeds seperated ( or can can leave a few stuck together to change the pitch ). ALWAYS keep your diaphrams out of direct sunlight in a dry cool place. A crisper in a fridge works great. Keeps them cool, sunlight free, and regulates the moisture!!!!!

STUMP

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
stumpjumper said:
DiscoDuck said:
Stump,
Did I catch that right, you keep em in the fridge? I've been wondering what the care or maintenance for the diaghrams is. Any recommendations?
A crisper in a fridge works great. Keeps them cool, sunlight free, and regulates the moisture!!!!!

STUMP
Keep mine on the door with the eggs :yes:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
keep em on the butter shelf myself. good tip with the alchol free mouthwash i'll definately try that one out this season.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I second the Woodhaven's. I use to really like a Strut Cut made by HS, but can't find em any more.

The call that I have been using the last couple of years is made by a local guy in Farmington, MO called Tru-Tone. Pretty good calls in my opinion. Haven't found any lately that are any better than his!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.