Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about ditching all of my cheapo diver decoys and go to a smaller more realistic spread. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Mallard Man. G&H or nothing. I wouldn't even consider Herters. I've had trouble keeping heads on em. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AddictedtoQuack said:
Does anyone know which states allow shooting canvasbacks?
I think here in florida it will be opened aaina nd Im going to Md. and the guide says theres a great chance there as well ...Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diver Danner said:
I'm thinking about ditching all of my cheap diver decoys and go to a smaller more realistic spread. Any suggestions?
Go cork, Herters fall apart and simply dont hold up. Greenbhead gear.com came out with cheap but great looking plastic deeks with removable keels I got some their nice, G&H are awesome PLASTIC deeks but man plastic...but with the plastics you shoot them their gone. Save up and go cork ..cant go wrong ! Later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought a layout boat for hunting divers this fall. Does anyone have suggestions on what size decoys to use. I bought some of the lifesize though some people seem to be getting the magnum and super magnum. I thought the larger ones would spook the duck at close range. Please send any ideas. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AddictedtoQuack said:
You can shoot 1 per day in Michigan, provided you eat it quickly as you cannot have more than a couple in possesion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Diver Danner said:
I'm thinking about ditching all of my cheapo diver decoys and go to a smaller more realistic spread. Any suggestions?
I USE HERTERS DECOYS, THE MAGNUM SIZE AND ARE MADE OF SOLID STYROFOAM, I HUNT THE OPEN WATERS OF SAGINAW BAY IN MICHIGAN AND THEY HAVE PERFORMED FANTASTIC FOR ME.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bottom line is that a piece of wood panted with a black-white-black paint scheme will pull divers. I personally don't worry too much about what my decoys look like as I have been pulling ducks with them for years. Looks are mostly for the hunters' liking. JMHO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would strongly suggest using Herter's Ultimate or Burlap decoys. They are alot cheaper than cork and lighter. The paint holds up pretty good. I bought 2 dozen plain and painted them myself for about $115 a dozen for the ultimate magnums. They are solid styrofoam with a hard plastic shell. As with any diver hunter, the decoys will get shot, and they hold up extremely well. The advantage of painting yourself is you can make more drakes than hens which works out alot better. Look into Cabela's for the prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sugeest that u buy a brand of decoys called green head gear they are not expenseive and there durabule

·
Registered
629 Posts
i would go with the armored herter decoy or the burlap thats the way to go but if u got the money it seems that everyone says that the corks are the best

·
Registered
1 Posts
KP said:
AddictedtoQuack said:
If I recall they have a 30-day season in Iowa.
Montana allows the harvest of one canvasback from opening weekend (last weekend in sept. or first weekend in oct.) until the very beginning of december. this past season cans closed dec. 2, and opening day was oct 4. these dates were good for the part of the state the falls into the Pacific flyway. The portion of the state in the central flyway opened oct 4 and closed nov. 11 allowing the harvest of one canvasback also. The same dates and limits held for pintails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although G&H makes a puddle duck decoy, their divers don't have the right proportions. (Width/height vs. length) In heavy wind they blow over. So do Carrylites which are rounded on the bottom. Foam or cork decoys have the edge when it comes to divers. You can shoot the birds when they are flying through the decoys without sinking them.

We have moved to super Mag foam decoys and foam filled plastic decoys. The greenhead Gear decoys are the best looking production decoy on the market, but they are too small for big water hunting. Fred Zink did a great job on the paint this time. Foreget those who say use all drakes. Market hunters used 50/50 ratio.

We hunt the Great Lakes from boat blinds and layout boats and have learned what has been best for us over the years.

Anatidae

1 - 20 of 50 Posts