Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
WA allows killin Cans, as for the dekes I have to agree with the Herters. I have about 3 doz divers and love the burlaps but cant seem to find them anymore. The other armored herters are also nice but stay away from the photo enhanced ones, they are not very durable

·
Registered
16 Posts
For an inexpensive diver decoy pant a black wing patch on a white bleach jug. I have had the best luck with using the 2.5 qt jug. I don't know if the cap comes in any other color than red. My wife only buys the red cap blech jug, pant it white. After jugging for Divers in the Winter, I take the jugs to the Catfish in the Spring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use herters, McCords, and Toledo's. :thumbsup: The Toledo's are bulletproof litterally speaking. Use as many blocks as you can. Sometimes you can get away with 60 or so and still bring in divers. We usually go with around 90. What kind of layout did ya buy?

Yep 1 can in Mi.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote Anitdae -Although G&H makes a puddle duck decoy, their divers don't have the right proportions. (Width/height vs. length) In heavy wind they blow over. So do Carrylites which are rounded on the bottom.
How do you see they don't have the right proportions. Their CAns are perfect. So are their others. Best decoy on the market for plastics. I have used them in 35 MPH winds and they stand strong. As for Carry-Lites (WEighted Keel) they are the same in 35 MPH winds they stand strong. The only ones that roll over were our flambeau WATER KEEL Bills.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive been collecting old plastic decoys or rubber or what ever I can find for cheap .I paint them all up black and white and just throw out a ton of them I have been even considering doing the jug Idea for number. I will say that I like my herders decoys the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Greenhead Gear Bluebills and have had phenomenal luck. I throw out alot though (6-7 dozen). The public water where I hunt is full of divers so I just go with the flow, not too many mallards, woodys, pintails or gadwalls. I have hunted waterfowl for 8 years and have yet to shoot a pintail or mallard....still trying like hell though.

The greenhead gear dekes are relativley cheap ($54.99 a dozen or so) and if I shoot one (if you hunt divers much I dont care who you are, your gonna shoot your dekes) I drill holes in the bottom and fill them with that foam insulation stuff you get at the hardware store. You cant believe how good that works. You gotta try it!

As far as size goes...I want a large spread as opposed to large dekes...seems to work better where I hunt> :salude:

·
Registered
5 Posts
don't get smaller diver decoys, you want big magnum size decoys so that the divers will see them from a far distance. REdheads, Canvasbacks and bluebills should be magnum size, buffleheads, goldeneye can be standard size. The bigger the better.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.