Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
wow, this truly has become the t.salt place of worship. i will have to give one of tom's calls a run and see for myself.
now, on to your question doyline, there is no right answer only biased opinions. since you asked for advice that is what you recieved. if you have no experience with singles you need to get out and try as many as you can get your lips around. as far as non-sticking calls. all calls can be made to stick. some may argue that and thats fine. some are inherently stick resisitant however. some of those calls are, t-salt, lares, buck gardner, and cadence. there are others also. you also need to get yourself some training aids. either in the form of video dvd's or audio cd's. the good part of all this is that you have awhile to work on all of this before next season. good luck in your endeavor.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Go out and blow some. I don't care if you get a call that looks great and doesn't stick one bit, if you can't run it its not gonna be worth anything to you for very long. Blow everything you can get your hands on, thats the fun part. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Honestly if i was you i would get two calls. I would get like a echo timber or something that you can hunt with and will be a go to call. And than i would get an inexpensive single reed such as the rnt hunter series just to try it out. You may pick up a single reed and realize that your calling style is best fit with a double reed. If you are going to get a real expensive call you want it to be a call that when you see those ducks you reach for it every time. In theory it is the best of both worlds. If not go with rnt. :thumbsup: :rofl:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Goose bonker said:
Tom Salter Marsh Mouth
:dito: Either that or an Echo Timber. CANNOT GO WRONG WITH EITHER! Echo if you hunt bad-to-echo holes or MM if you hunt big water/fields.

I own both and the only way anyone can get them from me is by prying them out of my cold dead hands... I'm going to have my lanyard on when I am thrown in the furnace for my final baking!

·
Registered
418 Posts
doylineduckkiller said:
the only that worries me is if wood calls are as durable as acrylic
I've had a stabilzed wood call from Snake River calls on my lanyard the last 3 seasons and it still looks brand new.

Another option is to give Kelly @ Kelly's Kalls a buzz. He makes an acrylic sleeve, wood call. I don't have one yet, but from what I understand it's an acrylic call stuffed into a wood one. All the benefits of acrylic with the look of wood.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Trav28 said:
Another option is to give Kelly @ Kelly's Kalls a buzz. He makes an acrylic sleeve, wood call. I don't have one yet, but from what I understand it's an acrylic call stuffed into a wood one. All the benefits of acrylic with the look of wood.
I have one of his goose calls and it flat out rocks! I would suggest a Kellys if you want a custom and RNT or Buck Gardner if you want an acrylic.

Like has been said, you ought to blow every call you can and go from there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Foiles Timber Rattler....you can get really loud and then get really low and nasty all with the same call....You can also order a double reed set for around $3 so you can interchange it from a single to a double if you want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
duckbuster06 said:
Go out and blow some. I don't care if you get a call that looks great and doesn't stick one bit, if you can't run it its not gonna be worth anything to you for very long. :thumbsup:
That's the only advice you need. Take a trip to Mack's, BPS, Simmons etc. Go to the counter where they keep the acrylics and try them out. If you go to Mack's, stop by RNT. They will be more than happy to help you pick on out, build it for you there and even teach you to blow it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.