Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
best outing this year was the last day of season yesterday.3 of us limited on ducks. it was a blast. me my dad and my brother went. its the first time we all limited when us 3 went . over the years. that last bird for my brothers limit was tough. but finally at about 12:30 it was over. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Best of the Best was Back in the Early Duck season October 16, last day of the early season.

3 of us went out with my 1 buddy's 13 year old son.
We had found a Swamp that NO ONE had found that held MANY Woodducks.
We got Shooting, first time, my 1 buddy and his son had been waterfowl hunting, First time the Boy had ever been in Waders and shooting standing in 3 feet of water.

He ended up on his Back side after his first shot, The look on his Face was Priceless!

He had a Big GRIN on his face, was covered in Mud!
5 minutes after this, he looks at his Dad and I and Asks "When are we gonna do this again"

A Waterfowler was Born that Day!

We hunted Middle Creek here in PA, a Controlled Waterfowl Hunting area, run by the PA Game Commission, the Saturday after Thanksgiving
This Boy had a BLAST!
He did not kill anything these 2 times out, but that has not Stopped him from wanting to go again!

My Best Day just for Adults was the First Day of the early Season, me and a Buddy layed in a Flooded field for Woodies.
We each had our 2 bird limit by 7:15 and layed there till 9 am hoping for mallards to show up.
Had Woodies Setting down all around us, and driving the Dog Crazy.

Had not seen anything like that since I hunted South Carolina back in 1994!

Many others days were the best with a little of the Worst added in!

Thanksgiving day found 3 of us on a local Beaver Pond. We had Ducks flying around but would not commit!
We got hit with a Fast Moving Thunderstorm about 8 am. Thought we all were going to the "Great Blind in the Sky" That day! Lighting Striking not more then 25 yards away from us as we gathered Decoys!

After we got to the Trucks, all Soaking wet, we watched Flock after Flock after Flcok of Mallards drop into the area we were hunting!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hunting on the San Saba in west Texas on christmas eve. I set out a doz mallards, and made my blind day before...pretty nifty blind....made out of bamboo. It was about 23 deg when I got to the blind....full moon... I was pissed. Right after light, I got a woodie, then didn't see anything until about 9:00 when a big..... realy big redlegged drake mallard came wistling down the river. He didn't see my deks until he was right on top of em.....he flew over, circled flew back over my deks, made a small u turn directly on my right....real quick, then set his wings, and came so close I could touch him. I think I was as surprised as he was. He tried to land DIRECTLY in front of my blind, about a yard in front of it...seriously....I could have reached out and grabbed him...anyways I was so in shock, I shot when he was about 5 yards in front of me..missed..then as he was at about 30 yards I tried to shoot another round out of my beretta over and under, but for some reason it wouldn't fire so I had to manualy switch barrels, and at about 40-45 yards, I nailed him :thumbsup:. That was the last duck I saw for the rest of the morning.....but I was satisfied with my first ever mallard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Opening morning of the first split, my three compadres and I were sitting in the blind sipping coffee after having set out the dekes. Then came that magical time of the morning when it's too early to shoot and whistling wings starting passing all around us and overhead.

My buddies and I looked at each other and started giggling like idiots. I asked them if they thought there was a better place that they could be right then and there and of course they all gave me that "are you nuts" look.

This Sunday will be my saddest day as we will be picking up the dekes for the final time till next season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.