Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a new watch and wanted to get some opinions.. What is important to you in a good outdoor watch?
Ive seen some with compass, sunrise/sunset times, altimeter, thermometer, shock resistant, luminous, etc.. The thing is they range from $20-$200+, does anyone have any good recommendations for a solid watch ?
For me durability is key, nothing that will break easily.. help me out :)

·
Banned
11,694 Posts
Get a Timex Expedition. It's in the low end of the price range you state.
The band WILL wear out. Other than that it's a very good (rugged) watch for an outdoorsman or trade person.
This watch will last many years. I have one that is over ten years old.I quit buying bands for it because I use my phone now.
35 bucks....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timex-Outdoor-Digital-Watch/2553391

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breathing for sure, but not for swamps and duck blood.

Yea that Suunto looks real nice- thermometer, sunrise/sunset, alarm, compass and storm alert! $300 is a little much, gotta be something similar just a little cheaper. I love the luminox but they have no features other than aluminating.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Timex is decent watch especially for the money that most cost and you can replace the bands when they break. Unless you have to have the sun rise feature and tide table and everything I would get a watch with a stainless band and not a digital display.

Reason I say this is I am a watchmaker by profession and digital watches rarely can be repaired. Most of the brands mentioned come with rubber bands that have to be replaced when the brake. A stainless band can be repaired if it brakes. Also if the watch does break and it has a mechanical or quartz movement rather than digital it should be able to be repaired easier.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really like my Tissot T-touch it's got Thermometer, compass, barometer, weather trend altimeter, and it's a really good looking watch.
I will agree with the others on the timex expedition.

Another watch that I have had in the past and liked the functions on but was a little big for my taste was my casio pathfinder.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Brand is not that important to me. What is important is that it be analog, have a larger white face, black numerals/hands, and use a fabric band (preferably olive drab nylon). My current timepiece is a WATCH-IT. I've been using it for about 12 years, and IIRC, I paid about $15 for it (probably at Wal-Mart).
I've never had a digital watch that has performed reliably in the marsh.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Timex Expedition....... I never take my watch off and usually by the time the band wears out I have scratched the crap out of the face. I just toss it and buy a new one about every 3 years. No digital for me. I check the weather, tides and other stuff on my IPhone if needed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Casio G-Shock, I needed a watch with hands and my son gave this for my birthday. It is also digital on bottom and has the light function. It has taken a beating the 2 years I have had it.

Leaky

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got a Casio, not sure exactly which model, that I bought at Kohls. Won't have anything else that's for sure. It doesn't have all the compasses and what not but it tells me when to start shooting, when to quit shooting and what day it is. Very durable. It's going to run you in the upper portion of the price range you mentioned.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Leaky-NY said:
Casio G-Shock, I needed a watch with hands and my son gave this for my birthday. It is also digital on bottom and has the light function. It has taken a beating the 2 years I have had it.
Leaky
I have had 2 G-Shocks in 25 years.....I beat them to death in salt water. Surf, fish, hint, NEVER take it off...
love it

·
Registered
59 Posts
m.teeter said:
I've got a Casio, not sure exactly which model, that I bought at Kohls. Won't have anything else that's for sure. It doesn't have all the compasses and what not but it tells me when to start shooting, when to quit shooting and what day it is. Very durable. It's going to run you in the upper portion of the price range you mentioned.
i got one for about $80 at Kohls, because they had some sort of discount. It was originally about $109 or so. Really good watch, though. VERY durable, and pretty comfortable.

·
3,310 Posts
Leaky-NY said:

Leaky
I have this too, use it hunting all winter, wear it fishing or strap it to the dashboard on my kayak. I have had it 4 years, works like new and never changed the battery yet. It says it's good for 10 years. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts