Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best is hevi-shot. they are expensive and you don't want to miss when your shooting them because they cost 13-20$ for a box of ten shells. They are the best shells around.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
With out breaking the bank....just be sure to get High Velocity (1500fps+) steel shot. They are lethal on anything within 40 yds. #3 shot for smaller ducks and #2 shot for larger ducks and BB for small/med geese with BBB for large geese will be deadly on them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have to agree with Pullman here, the Kent Fast steel cant be beat! At $9.00 a box for 3" 1550s no one comes close. Some believe they need Hevi shot to justify their sky busting when all they need is some skill with the call and the gun.

This is not directed at ANY ONE!!!! just stating my opinion!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with h20fowler. I like to shoot Xpert Steel Hi-velocity 3" 4s for ducks. I think it works the best and is a lot cheaper than Hevi shot or kent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMHO the best all-around load for the money is ANY 1500fps steel load in #2. You can shoot geese, puddlers, divers and just about anything that flys will go down with that load. 3 1/2" if you can take the pain.

I do go up to BB or BBB or T shot when I'm hunting geese exclusively, but an "all-purpose" load for me is #2

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All

We have settled to reloading only BB shot in 2 3/4 in shell--1500 fps plus is mandatory--therefore only 1 oz of shoot.Anything larger TTT--BBB will not pattern out of the choke worth a darn.

The best you can do,is to decoy the birds and keep your shooting in the 30 to 45 yard range max!! To skybust is the most annoying thing to a good hunter!!

Good Hunting!

TOM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts