Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Old News!

If you'd get off your butt and Join United Waterfowlers you would have known about this a month ago. www.unitedwaterfowlersfl.org

It is good that the local news is covering the issue though. The more that know the better.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How often are they planning on making launches? This is probably Florida,s most important area for pintails,and widgeon. Chasshowitzka
refuge was once the primary wintering spot for these two species in Florida , the birds moved to the east side of the state in the early seventies to Merritt Island refuge. You guys need to fight this now while something can still be done. Once this in place you will lose an
important part of the Florida waterfowl habitat. I remember what Chasshowitka was like before they started the cross Florida barge canal, the area has never held large numbers of birds since. You can stop this but it will take a lot of people contacting your congressmen.
Thirty years ago we could shoot 10 pintails each, and I've done it many times at the Merritt Island refuge. Pintails took a really big hit in the 80's they are just now making a comeback. What kind of effect might this cause to just that one species. More importantly Florida is never going to stop growing. So ask the powers that be on this project , what part of Florida are you going to replace this unique habitat with? Contact your congressman now before it's too late. The facilities at NASA are already enormous, they should be able to work with what's there now. If you've never been to Merritt Island take the drive through the refuge right now, you won't believe the number of bird in there. I've seen pintails in there so thick you could hardly see the water. :help:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.