Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Nocalhonker said:
Can you do a bismuth x steel load.
There's no recipes for it that I know of, you probably could do it with enough trial and error. Only problem I see is the weight/ densities of the two materials no being compatible. Steel is much harder than Bismuth so that would be a problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You'd be better off duplexing a TSS and steel load. The general consensus is to use a published steel load and replace 1/4 oz of the steel pellets with 1/4 oz of the TSS and add a felt filler to achieve proper crimp.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There's only a few reasons to "duplex" a load. Mostly economics, but also fit.
I don't think any of the reasons to do it really apply to bismuth. I was going to write a bunch, but I'll just say that. Bismuth already fits just about right in a hull/wad, with the right amount of shot. With 100% bismuth load, you don't have empty space nor way too many pellets, to those reasons are removed.

Bismuth needs to be shot slow, 1300ish, to avoid pellet deformation and poor patterns. Steel needs to be shot fast, > 1400, for effectiveness. Bismuth needs tight chokes like lead for good patterns; those chokes are too much for steel. The two materials and their effective launch envelopes are mutually exclusive almost.

Steel and HW13 or 15 or TSS are much better combos, and the higher density leads to smaller pellets which allow more pellets in a given payload which solves some issues for steel; chokes and launch speeds are compatible.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Nocalhonker said:
Thanks for the replies, Dave I just found your blog great info.
Thx ;) That worked out well for not feeling like typing earlier heh ;) Couple duplexing "why?" type posts in there that talk about it which might be useful for you. Also if you're thinking about bismuth, I posted one on what bismuth payloads I thought looked good on paper from a pellet count and range perspective. Bismuth works very nicely just by itself ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
D. Slayer...
I don't know if it's been mentioned before to you or not (if it has please disregard) but Dave in Arizona has a really good blog in my opinion. Lots of good reloading information and will answer a lot of your questions. Check it out in your free time. Google Dave in AZ and it should come up...

·
Registered
110 Posts
It can be done, but there is not published load data. For reference, Hevi uses LBC wads, bismuth, steel, and flax seed. Their Hevi12 looks to have LilGun powder and LBC wads.
there is published data for steel shot and bismuth shot using Longshot. One could start there.

I’ve talked with a buddy who asked the same and has testing capabilities. He was looking for some tinkering options in 12gauge. I’ve loaded a few set ups in 28gauge 60/40ratio like some companies do. Patterns were so-so.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
The only duplexing with Bismuth that make sense is with Buffer , adding buffer to protect bismuth pellets
so the payload can be driven (a little) faster does help pattern density , farther out ! With the right size
pellet for the distance of the target ( birds size) , bismuth can be as lethal as any non tox pellet "IF"
you can hit it ? just saying

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The only duplexing with Bismuth that make sense is with Buffer , adding buffer to protect bismuth pellets
so the payload can be driven (a little) faster does help pattern density , farther out ! With the right size
pellet for the distance of the target ( birds size) , bismuth can be as lethal as any non tox pellet "IF"
you can hit it ? just saying
I have been toying with the idea of duplexing bizzy 4s with lead 6s for pheasant loads. Basically just curiosity driving this, but i wonder how it would pattern/shoot. Obviously not non-tox anymore

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If I could shoot lead shot, I would go with just lead shot. Lead shot is cheaper and out performs Bismuth shot.

According to KPY Shotshell Ballistics the Bismuth #4 shot and lead #6 shot match up better than I thought they would. But the lead #6 shot has about 225 pellets in 1 oz and Bismuth #4 shot has about 155 pellets in 1 oz.

1300 fps Bismuth #4 shot gets 1.50" of gel penetration at 49.7 yards with a speed of 613 fps at 49.7 yards and it takes 0.179 seconds to travel 49.7 yards.
1300 fps lead #6 shot gets 1.36" of gel penetration at 49.7 yards with a speed of 597 fps at 49.7 yards and it takes 0.181 seconds to travel 49.7 yards.

If you already have the Bismuth #4 shot and the lead #6 shot, give it a try.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Oh i understand its a weird idea and doesnt make a lot of sense, just curious is all. There is one other part that the program doesnt take into account, the pure devastation bizzy 4s do to birds. The birds look like they went through a meat grinder, which isnt great for edibility but it kills stone dead. Small lead tends to drag a feather in with it and stop in the meat while doing little damage. I shot one with a bizzy 4 reload last year and it was stoned, meat was a bit tore up but the ones that went through the cavity made mush of everything inside. I pound my phez breasts flat and fry them anyways so i don't care if they arent perfect.

I already have everything so like i said, just curious is all. May give it a try and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts