Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to make sure this load is correct since I’m not sure where I got the original info. Hoping someone can double check this one.
3” Fiocchi hull
33 grains of Steel Powder
Sam 1 2 3/4 wad
1 1/2 oz load of bismuth
15 grains of buffer

I have the 3 inch primed hulls with a pheasant on the side of the brass

thanks for any help with this load confirmation

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I think what you have is a replacement hull for a Active 3" load , as all the components are the same with (1) gr more of powder !
Should shoot just fine but , whether it's the right load for your gun , is up to you ?
That 2 3/4" wad does belong with a 1 1/2 oz payload .

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Bismuth 2 or BB would be a fun long range pass shooting load for honkers. Maybe a good snow load too, probably knock a snow down at 80yds.

#4 at 1300 kills giant honkers stone dead at 40 and under.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Whether someone needs #BB bismuth or not is a matter of opinion.
Did anyone need #BB lead?

Point is he may want to use 1-1/2 of bismuth for a variety of reasons that you don't share. Maybe he's pass shooting geese with an old gun. Maybe he's a bad shot and wants a wide pattern. Maybe he's shooting coyotes. Maybe he just wants to.

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve never loaded bismuth but have this load written on one of my reloading cards for some reason. I bought Boss shells last year and they were 1 1/2 oz loads of 3x5 and I was very pleased. Can’t get them this year it seems. Been checking since mid summer.
I have several thousand of those Fiocchi hulls so I thought I may put them to use if I can find some shot. And as mentioned mybshootinf sucks compared to my younger years. Used to kill two per 3 shells. Now it’s about 1 per 5-6 shells. LOL. I’ve shot 3.5 chambered guns since the beginning of the HK Benellis.
I guess to sum it up. Kinda board from another lack luster duck season and just playing I guess

thanks for info
I have the RSI recipes but that’s it so I figured I got it from someone here.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kent has 3.5” Bismuth at 1.5oz. Those Have pass shot geese around 70yards

patterning off hand 40 yards, Browning Maxus 2. Carlsons LongRange (ImProved Mod) Cremator choke. 1450fps Listed.
Kent uses an LBC wad in this load, and what looks like (and weighs close to) Longshot Powder.

Bismuth 1’s or 2’s are probably a better option for pellet density.
Hood Rectangle Wood Gas Circle
Hood Rectangle Wood Gas Circle

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I’ve never loaded bismuth but have this load written on one of my reloading cards for some reason. I bought Boss shells last year and they were 1 1/2 oz loads of 3x5 and I was very pleased. Can’t get them this year it seems. Been checking since mid summer.
I have several thousand of those Fiocchi hulls so I thought I may put them to use if I can find some shot. And as mentioned mybshootinf sucks compared to my younger years. Used to kill two per 3 shells. Now it’s about 1 per 5-6 shells. LOL. I’ve shot 3.5 chambered guns since the beginning of the HK Benellis.
I guess to sum it up. Kinda board from another lack luster duck season and just playing I guess

thanks for info
I have the RSI recipes but that’s it so I figured I got it from someone here.
A buddy of mine shoots the 20ga 1 1/8 #3/5 for geese, they seem to work well. Cant say if its any better than just 4s, i kill what i hit standing right next to him. I shoot 2.75" 7/8oz 4s in my 20.

You may try to load up and pattern a few loads from 1- 1.5 oz and see what you think. I think you will be surprised how the lighter loads pattern. We found bismuth to be pretty difficult to pattern, so this may be why you are doing a lot of missing if you haven't patterned your gun. My buddy ended up at IM with the boss 3/5 and i still dont like his pattern. I got lucky with my first reload and modified patterned great, had problems with that load and after switching wads i had a heck of a time getting a good pattern again. Im at carlsons extended full and it does good now at 40yd. If you are shooting IC or even possibly Mod, they might be flying right through your pattern.

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A guy at duck camp swears by his 20 gauge 3/5 boss shells. More so than his 12 gauge. I pattern everything it seems, i found I had to choke the bismuth load tighter.
I blame my poor shooting to these progressive glasses. Waiting to try my old schools after the first of the year.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think what you have is a replacement hull for a Active 3" load , as all the components are the same with (1) gr more of powder !
Should shoot just fine but , whether it's the right load for your gun , is up to you ?
That 2 3/4" wad does belong with a 1 1/2 oz payload .
I’m thinking about dropping powder back to 32 grains and test. I should be ok with that load. I have no clue where I got that written load.

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does bismuth loads need the buffer? I’m loading 0 sized shot.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Does bismuth loads need the buffer? I’m loading 0 sized shot.
I seem to find better patterns with buffer. Been shooting 7/8 and 1 oz buffered #5 loads that has been killing very well for me.

The loads without buffer seemed to pattern a bit broken while the loads with buffer either tightened up or patterned more evenly. All buffered loads are with 12-13 grains of precision PSB.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anyone know approximately how much cost you have into a Bismuth load? Have been thinking about loading something, Bismuth or tss steel duplex, but Boss shells are not too pricey so I may go that route?

The way I shot the other day I should shoot the cheapest junk I could find:(

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
You might want to consider a Bismuth Load with 1 1/8 oz of #4's in a FGM Hull ?
It's easy to reload and the pressure is reasonable as I shoot it in my Mod 12's with Tight fixed chokes !

FGM straight-walled hull
Win 209
29 gr of Longshot
Fed 12S4 wad
1 1/8 oz of # 4 Bismuth
Fold crimp gives 1330 fps / 9900 psi
If you want it to shoot a tighter pattern , add 8/10 gr Buffer !

Just Saying , this load is in the Lyman's 5 th

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
3” Fiocchi hull
33 grains of Steel Powder
Sam 1 2 3/4 wad
1 1/2 oz load of bismuth
15 grains of buffer

That load with the Sam 1 wad "MAYBE" under 11,500 psi. With a TPS wad I am pretty sure it would be over MAX pressure.

I had to go down to 30.5 gr of Steel powder in a 3" Fiocchi hull to get 1-1/2 oz loads of HW13 shot to test in the 10,000 psi range. 1-1/2 oz of Bismuth shot will have a much longer shot column and if there is no cushion under the shot, that will also raise the pressure, buffer will also raise the pressure.

On my 1-1/2 oz HW13 BB coyote loads I had to go down to 29.5 gr of Steel powder in the 3" Fiocchi hull with TPS wads, because there was no room under the shot for a felt or cork wad.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts