Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to make sure this load is correct since I’m not sure where I got the original info. Hoping someone can double check this one.
3” Fiocchi hull
33 grains of Steel Powder
Sam 1 2 3/4 wad
1 1/2 oz load of bismuth
15 grains of buffer

I have the 3 inch primed hulls with a pheasant on the side of the brass

thanks for any help with this load confirmation

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve never loaded bismuth but have this load written on one of my reloading cards for some reason. I bought Boss shells last year and they were 1 1/2 oz loads of 3x5 and I was very pleased. Can’t get them this year it seems. Been checking since mid summer.
I have several thousand of those Fiocchi hulls so I thought I may put them to use if I can find some shot. And as mentioned mybshootinf sucks compared to my younger years. Used to kill two per 3 shells. Now it’s about 1 per 5-6 shells. LOL. I’ve shot 3.5 chambered guns since the beginning of the HK Benellis.
I guess to sum it up. Kinda board from another lack luster duck season and just playing I guess

thanks for info
I have the RSI recipes but that’s it so I figured I got it from someone here.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A guy at duck camp swears by his 20 gauge 3/5 boss shells. More so than his 12 gauge. I pattern everything it seems, i found I had to choke the bismuth load tighter.
I blame my poor shooting to these progressive glasses. Waiting to try my old schools after the first of the year.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think what you have is a replacement hull for a Active 3" load , as all the components are the same with (1) gr more of powder !
Should shoot just fine but , whether it's the right load for your gun , is up to you ?
That 2 3/4" wad does belong with a 1 1/2 oz payload .
I’m thinking about dropping powder back to 32 grains and test. I should be ok with that load. I have no clue where I got that written load.

·
12,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does bismuth loads need the buffer? I’m loading 0 sized shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts