Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might want to consider a Bismuth Load with 1 1/8 oz of #4's in a FGM Hull ?
It's easy to reload and the pressure is reasonable as I shoot it in my Mod 12's with Tight fixed chokes !

FGM straight-walled hull
Win 209
29 gr of Longshot
Fed 12S4 wad
1 1/8 oz of # 4 Bismuth
Fold crimp gives 1330 fps / 9900 psi
If you want it to shoot a tighter pattern , add 8/10 gr Buffer !

Just Saying , this load is in the Lyman's 5 th
I use the s3 wad because the s4 is no longer made.

I’ve also tested a similar load with steel powder about 31grain. My older side by side threw very nice patterns with the steel powder and 1.125oz bismuth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was flipping through the Lyman’s book and recently loaded a 3.5” 12gauge Hull with an s3 wad and Longshot powder, 1.875oz payload.

I have many 3.5” hulls and a variety of wads on hand, so I decided to load the Lyman’s data for 3.5” 12gauge Hulls, S0 wad, 37gn Longshot, 1.5oz of bismuth, and I bumped the payload to 1.55oz of Bis1’s. I used a fiber card under the shot and some wax beads for crimp. Fio, Cheddite,federal, and B&P hulls. The Hevi Metal, Fio, and federal once or twice fired hulls all loaded the best; the once fired Kent hulls of 1.5oz BB bismuth were flimsy, but may get one more reload out of them.

These loads are well under max pressure, so my thought is the comparison between these and 3” hulls of the same payload; is there any advantage? Maybe they will pattern better out of a 3.5” hull, thinking in terms of pressure spike.

Anyway, I loaded 25, and we are 2 months away from early goose. I’m sure I’ll pattern some prior to Sept 1.

·
Registered
God, Family, Community, WATERFOWL HUNTING
38 Posts
I was flipping through the Lyman’s book and recently loaded a 3.5” 12gauge Hull with an s3 wad and Longshot powder, 1.875oz payload.

I have many 3.5” hulls and a variety of wads on hand, so I decided to load the Lyman’s data for 3.5” 12gauge Hulls, S0 wad, 37gn Longshot, 1.5oz of bismuth, and I bumped the payload to 1.55oz of Bis1’s. I used a fiber card under the shot and some wax beads for crimp. Fio, Cheddite,federal, and B&P hulls. The Hevi Metal, Fio, and federal once or twice fired hulls all loaded the best; the once fired Kent hulls of 1.5oz BB bismuth were flimsy, but may get one more reload out of them.

These loads are well under max pressure, so my thought is the comparison between these and 3” hulls of the same payload; is there any advantage? Maybe they will pattern better out of a 3.5” hull, thinking in terms of pressure spike.

Anyway, I loaded 25, and we are 2 months away from early goose. I’m sure I’ll pattern some prior to Sept 1.
I would say that unless you are looking/needing to use a bulky powder or load to higher pressures/velocities, there is little need to utilize the supermagnum hull. You can most likely drop your fiber card and crimp spacer out for the 3" hull if the S3 still offers a low enough height for the 1-1/2oz payload. I'd recommend a mylar wrap and buffer to boost the pattern potential, but it may do very well without it.

The MAP for the 3" hull is about 12,000 PSI, and unless you are trying to bump load pressures and velocities past what bismuth really needs, you won't need the supermag's 14k MAP.

I always approach from a "well balanced" load perspective and goal, and with that efficiency. I see no great reason to utilize the 3-1/2" tube unless the wad/shot column need it to fit. Have you considered going to an WAA12R, SP12, RP12, MG42 or similar for the 1-1/2oz payload?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would say that unless you are looking/needing to use a bulky powder or load to higher pressures/velocities, there is little need to utilize the supermagnum hull. You can most likely drop your fiber card and crimp spacer out for the 3" hull if the S3 still offers a low enough height for the 1-1/2oz payload. I'd recommend a mylar wrap and buffer to boost the pattern potential, but it may do very well without it.

The MAP for the 3" hull is about 12,000 PSI, and unless you are trying to bump load pressures and velocities past what bismuth really needs, you won't need the supermag's 14k MAP.

I always approach from a "well balanced" load perspective and goal, and with that efficiency. I see no great reason to utilize the 3-1/2" tube unless the wad/shot column need it to fit. Have you considered going to an WAA12R, SP12, RP12, MG42 or similar for the 1-1/2oz payload?
I tried the fit with a Mec Figure 8 wad, a S3 wad, and MG42 wad. I’m sure they will all work out. for the time being, I just followed the book load with the S0 wad and fiber. Buffer helps, but I’m not sold on needing it for patterns overall. I load the s3 wad in 2.75” hulls over 29gn of Longshot and 1.15oz of bimsuth. I’ll load 2.75” euro hulls/GMG’s with mg42 wads and 1.25oz of bismuth over 28-29gn of Longshot.

A few years back I shot more than 125 Canada geese, mostly with handloads of bis 4’s in 0.85-1.125oz loads from 28-12gauge (hv28wad in 28 gauge, and mostly s3 of staright wall figure 8 wads in 12gauge). Those loads were not buffered. That off season I looked more into buffered loads, and I have maybe 100 made up in 12 and 10gauge, but again, it may not really change field results.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone know approximately how much cost you have into a Bismuth load? Have been thinking about loading something, Bismuth or tss steel duplex, but Boss shells are not too pricey so I may go that route?

The way I shot the other day I should shoot the cheapest junk I could find:(
If trying to reload the Boss Payloads of 1.25oz of shot, or higher, in 12gauge, it’s almost no cost savings compared to what they charge. When you load lower payloads, or speciality loads, or shot sizes, subgauge, and possibly 10gauge, you’ll save some money.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts