Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the life right out of birds. I am absolutely impressed. I have not seen ducks so instantly dead in the air in a long time. I would even say it kills them better than the tungsten I have shot. A big duck hit with 7/8 of bismuth 4s looks like when you group hunt and 3-4 guys accidentally shoot the same bird with steel. I will not go back to steel for big ducks, I cannot believe I have waited this long to try it.. they don't even move a foot when they hit the water.

Now.. the bad side. These things are barely edible. It F's these birds up, its almost as bad as blindside shot... but this stuff actually gets to vitals and kills the birds. I need to get another dozen or so kills and then come up with a plan if something doesn't change. I would say its like shooting a full load of flightstopper shot, if you have ever seen what black cloud does to meat.

You guys have to try this stuff if you can get your hands on it. I am a guy who shoots all his birds sub 40yds over decoys, and said I would never need anything but steel. Steel kills them, but this stuff is on a new level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I moved to this about 2 years ago, shoot only 2 3/4 shells with number 4 or 5 shot. Dead birds, when my blind mate are hammering their cripples with steel. The extra cost is worth it! Kills geese and duck with the same effectiveness. Love this stuff.

·
Registered
20,692 Posts
I was disappointed with my first bismuth (Bismuth Cartridge Co.) go-round. Didn't find it appreciably different than steel at the ranges I shoot - except for finding fractured pieces in the birds. Have more recently shot some of the "plated" Boss stuff and, at least to date, haven't seen the same amount of fracturing. Can't say I've seen any magic compared to steel, either, but I'm using it in a gun I don't often shoot.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Agree BBK, i shot some of the boss #6 shot on sunday. First time ever shooting bismuth. Ran it out of a .580 choke from my weatherby element 20ga. I shoot 90% of my birds sub 40 yards as well. All 6 of my birds crumpled stone dead. I took one long shot at a buzzing teal i figured id miss pushing 45 yards pulled out 3-4ft in front of him and he crumpled like he had been hit at 15 yards. Im hooked on it myself just from that. Im not sure why i waited so long myself. Cant wait to try some 4s and 5s on big late season mallards and #3s on honkers

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was disappointed with my first bismuth (Bismuth Cartridge Co.) go-round. Didn't find it appreciably different than steel at the ranges I shoot - except for finding fractured pieces in the birds. Have more recently shot some of the "plated" Boss stuff and, at least to date, haven't seen the same amount of fracturing. Can't say I've seen any magic compared to steel, either, but I'm using it in a gun I don't often shoot.
if i remember, that first Bismuth wasnt mixed with enough tin was it? Which made it more brittle than the 6% stuff of today. I dont know that there is any "magic", i like the fact i can drop 2 shot sizes and get the same penetration of the larger steel in comparison. More pellets on target = cleaner quicker kills.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found fractured pieces already, mostly half shot. I didnt see any small holes when patterning so im hoping it's doing it on impact and not setback. It absolutely dumped energy in the bird instead of pinhole through like steel, i like this stuff. Best as i can describe is it looks like when you get a slow flushing pheasant and just smash it with a heavy lead load, thats how these birds die. The tungsten ive shot has been complete pass through and killed the bird, but this stuff is dumping energy like lead.

Like a hollow point vs fmj if you have ever seen that damage on a critter.

·
Registered
20,692 Posts
7/8oz of steel 5s has been my long time 20ga confidence load - and compromise between pattern density and amount of shot left in birds, of which I'd prefer zero. Found 6s like grenades (again, at my ranges) but more of them stayed in birds than I want to deal with. Don't want bismuth in them, either, even if I 'd found it as effective as it sounds like you guys have.

My parties haven't broken a thousand since 2017, but I've seen a lot of birds shot over the years and have yet to see anything come close to killing them all cleanly, to include lead.

(Did switch from Nosler Partitions to Ballistic Tips after moving to marsh and swamp country that can make run-off deer recovery a bitch, if not impossible.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear that it has been dropping birds dead! I am eager to try some of this out in the field soon. Do people think that 12ga, 3inch, #5 bismuth, 1 3/8th ounce at 1450 fps would work for mallards within 25 yards? Or is #5 a bit too small? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glad to hear that it has been dropping birds dead! I am eager to try some of this out in the field soon. Do people think that 12ga, 3inch, #5 bismuth, 1 3/8th ounce at 1450 fps would work for mallards within 25 yards? Or is #5 a bit too small? Thx in advance.
plenty of shell for mallards at 25 yards. Little overkill imo. Bismuth #5 has 1.5" of penetration (standard on big ducks) to almost 40 yards. If you are shooting at sub 30 then id open my choke up a bit

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I've seen what 7/8oz 4's do at 35-40 yards now, I think you will make hamburger with 1 3/8 of #5s at 25yds. I think for a 30yd duck load I would personally choose 7/8oz of #6s around 1300-1350fps.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You dont need any special choke for bismuth, it reacts like lead from what I have tested. Try mod, if its not tight enough then try full. Flush Mod carlsons has worked for what I need in my 20 so far, I don't think I could shoot full in my load without absolutely hamburgering the birds.

The 1oz of 5's above looks like hamburger in the making to me, unless teal hunting. I realize its fixed and nothing to be done, but that's a turkey load pattern.

Here is what I am currently shooting, and its already doing a little more damage than I would like. The whole carboard is 24X36, paper is 12x18. This is my big duck and decoy goose load, 40 is max range for me shooting a $1.50 shell.
Bird Plant Beak Organism Art

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I found that my Bismuth loads did a lot better when I added Buffer to the 2 3/4" Gold Medal hulls..........
compared to loads without the buffer, for 65 yard shots and large #2 pellets.

For 40 yard decoy work I use #5 steel, since I like teal, if they come by.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anyone have any experience with boss 20ga #4s? Just bought some and can't wait to pattern it but curious if anyone has actually used it on big ducks or decoyed geese?
bought some 6s and 4s myself. Used the 6s last weekend and they were hammers on ducks. Ran through my Weatherby Element with a .580 choke. All 6 ducks were stone dead from 12-13 yards to a teal at about 45-47.
Cant wait for some colder weather and more birds, and all the wana be sky busters to give up and stay home.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts