Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come patternmaster recommends not to shoot black clouds through their choke tubes
Until Patternmaster has completed testing we do NOT recommend using Federal Black Cloud ammunition with our current production choke tubes!
I had heard that they do not pattern well so yesterday I went to the range to see for my self before we head to Neb to hunt some snows....
At 40yds the pattern was great, it was perfectly spread out and totally filled the 30" target.
-PJ

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The design of the wad is to hold the shot together for a longer distance. With the patternmaster it is a wad stripping choke. So if you use the black cloud with the pm you might as well be shooting regular shot.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The problem as I understand it is that a wad stripping choke such as the PM and the flight control wad which has petals to slow it down while travelling down the barrel. Aside from it being redundant, I would think some others could elaborate more on the problems it may cause.

I think federal had mentioned something about the fact that it reduces pressure. But hey, it also appears that PM and Federal are working to make a black cloud compatible patternmaster - now people can pay more for shells AND chokes!
-Erik

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I think PM explains the reason real well on there website. The redundancy is a major reason but look how the flight control wad differs from a regular wad. The stripper chokes have a lot more contact with a FCW and I would think a better chance of stopping the thing in the barrel and then boom. I read a couple of reports of guys blowin barrels. I wouldnt shoot them again if I was you. IN the PM.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ya, with the way the back of the wad flares out, it could catch on the studs in the choke that are supposed to strip the wad. Instead of striping the wad, it can completely stop the wad and cause a barrel explosion when you follow with your next shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts