Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello From frustration boy🙈
in norway we have no one who sells tss and there is no one who sells equipment for and charging equipment gets and charges tss ... so what I wonder is if I can buy black clod shell. take out the steel and replace this with tss. possibly use wad filler. or use 30% flint stop pellets and 70% tss?

beast regards Hans martin from norway

·
Registered
110 Posts
That would work.

Can you source TSS from China? There’s a few sellers on social media that the turkey hunting groups seem to favor.

from Federal on the black cloud tss 12 gauge steel3 / tss9:

“thanks for reaching out. The pellet count is approximately 280 (168 TSS #9 and 112 #3 BC).”

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you replace most of, or all of the steel shot from a factory Federal Black Cloud shell and replace it with TSS shot, the length of the shot column will be much shorter.

The shorter TSS shot column will create much less pressure and if you put felt, cork or fiber wads under the shot, that will lower the pressure even more.

I robbed the 15g/cc shot out of a bunch of factory Federal Heavyweight 3-1/2" 12 ga 1-7/8 oz Turkey loads and put 1-7/8 of of TSS shot back in them with cork filler wads under the 1-7/8 oz of TSS shot and sent them off to be tested.

The pressure of those loads was in the 2,000 psi to 4,000 psi range. Precision Reloading told me those were very dangerous loads.

Then I sent in some 2-1/8 oz TSS loads with hard card wads under the heavier shot charge. These heavier 2-1/8 oz loads had good pressure and speed, but way to much recoil. This big pressure drop was from switching from 15g/cc shot to 18g/cc TSS shot. Going from steel shot to 18g/cc TSS shot will be a huge difference.

If you replace more than 30% of the steel shot by weight with the same weight of TSS shot in a factory steel shot loads, you should have those loads tested.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm unsure of what you are asking.
Are you saying no one in Norway sells shotshells loaded with TSS? Or that no one in Norway sells loose TSS shot for handloading?

You can replace some of the steel shot in an all-steel load with some TSS. (But not the whole charge.)
You cannot replace TSS shot with steel, however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts