Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think anybody wants to hear about this shell, cause yes I've seen all the post asking about it.

I was just amazed at the marketing of this stuff, its in EVERY sports store I have been to, a whole shelf dedicated to it, its mentioned weekly on EVERY forum I've been on, and just about EVERYBODY that has used it, swears by it. Cause they fold from the 40% of STEEL pellets have a belt on it and they have a turkey wad. :rolleyes:

I've gotta hand it to Federal, they sure marketed this stuff well. It does pattern nicely though, just don't like that you don't have a lot of choke options for it.

I'll stick with my reloads and kent shotshells, they work just fine for me.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I was in cabelas the other day and they had a HUGE banner advertising it over a doorway, more shells available than any other they sold, etc. It really is ridiculous. Not only the lengths they go to market it, but how effective it is. I've shot it. Give me one of the guys (or gals) who 'swear by it', my reloads, and a friendly wager.. and I'll take their money 99 times out of a 100. It is NOT all it is *hyped* to be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea, they have done a great job marketing this stuff.

Although it was my go to shell this year. Personlly i liked it, it patterned out decent in my 870.
And i found that when i was on the birds it was a no brainer, they fell hard, but i guess you could say the same about most shells/guns, if your on em then theyll die.

Not sure if they are worth the extra$$$$ though.

I am picking up a Remington Semi Auto(SPR453) in a couple of weeks. I am really going to do some experimenting and testing, if Kents pattern good out of this gun, then im going to try them this upcoming year.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And i found that when i was on the birds it was a no brainer, they fell hard, but i guess you could say the same about most shells/guns, if your on em then theyll die.
I can say that about my $9 a box winchester xperts, when I'm on the bird, it folds dead. Most of my cripples I know are a bad shot.

You know what would be fun, take a box of black cloud from your buddy, use them, then reload them all yourself, so they still say black cloud, then let him use those thinking they are black cloud. Then when he is amazed at the performance of the shells, and gives you crap about how much better they are then your reloads, you could cut one open for him. That could be fun huh?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd have to say
almost as good as the marketing dept. at Hornady/Ruger.
All the folks slobberin on themselves to get a .17 HMR
when the .17 remington has been out since the early 70's,
and all you heard was the .17 remington would foul the barrel with 10 shots, and you couldn't kill anything larger than a rabbit with it, and all the other horsepucky wives tales.
My .17 remington will do all that the HMR will with less than 7.0grs
of blue dot, and do it better, and probably cheaper, and i can still run 4350fps if i want to.
The new remington .17 fireball is what i really wanted years ago, but didn't want to build a mach IV rifle, chose an off the shelf rifle instead.
The new .17 fireball cartridge makes the hmr look like a bad dream.
Why would i shoot a rimfire at $10 a box?
My 10/22 does just fine for plinking, thank you, and those federal
value packs give me 550 rounds of ammo for probably less than a 50 rnd box of hmr ammo.
Even hornady didn't realize how fast the sheep would run off the cliff over this nonsense,and couldn't keep up with loaded ammo demands.
What happened to the 5mm remington?
wasn't it basically a .17hmr?
pretty damned close i'd say, folks yawned at it.
Out comes the HMR, and they can't keep folks away from it,
just shows how sheep like a lot of folks really are.
.204 Ruger, there's another unneeded round,
It's basically a 5mm .17 remington,
and everyone thinks it's the greatest thing since _____.
Ya, this is all starting to make sense, isn't it? :huh:
the .17 remington will do anything this round will,and if you need more horsepower, the .220 swift has been around for eons, a fabulous round, better than the .22-250 (which has way to much body taper),the .22-250 improved is a good round however.
Ok, don't get me started. :hammer:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I quite like my 17 hmr, but I'd much rather have a 22 mag, shoots flatter, hits harder, and holds its accuracy better then a 17 hmr. Cheaper ammo too.

22-250 is a great round, my dad has one, don't have a 220 to compare it to, buts its killed everything from deer to prairie dogs, at 300 and under, so I'd say its a pretty good round. I'd like to reload some of them, and for my 243.

204 is a nice little sizzler, if you aren't a handloader for your other guns that is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Black Cloud......I think I twitch everytime I hear, or read the words. You know...it drops ducks like rain?

Pure marketing garbage. This shell will fade away soon. Its too expensive for the results it delivers. I've shot the turkey loads, and was less than impressed. I can't imagine the steel being any better, especially since its mis-shapen ON PURPOSE.

The only shell I've cracked open that had good, round shot had been Kents, and of course, my reloads with precision steel.

B

·
Registered
57 Posts
:oops:

Golly, I must be the dumbest guy here! I tried a box (on sale for $14.99) and had such great results, that I bought 2 more boxes!

:help:

Y'all help me out and tell me what sucks before I go out and buy it and have nothing but good to say about it!

- Jimmy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is nothing bad about it really, its just cost more then normal steel, has a turkey wad that isn't very responsive to chokes, and the only difference between it and normal steel is that it has 40% of it that has a belt on it.

I don't like it mostly because it gives hunters a, "my shell is better then yours", and cost more, and doesn't kill any better then my Kents or my reloads.

Everybody that uses it gets on here, THIS SHELL IS SO AWESOME, I STONED A GOOSE AT 50 YARDS WITH #2s. Well, their range is wrong for one, and two, for some reason, I think people think it shoots farther then normal steel, which it doesn't its still steel, just 40% has a belt around the steel pellet. Actually giving that pellet less range because it has more drag.

So for me, it has no advantage over normal steel, costs more, and gives people a "higher then thou" attitude, which is annoying.

At $14.99, I'd have tried it too. I'm seeing it for $25 a box, I'd rather buy hevi-steel for $24.00 a box.

·
Registered
398 Posts
MICHI-GANDER said:
The only shell I've cracked open that had good, round shot had been Kents, and of course, my reloads with precision steel.
I cut open a regular federal speed shok,
and the steel in it looked really good.
Also cut open a rem nitro,
it had plated steel, that didn't look bad at all,
and a rem sportsman, it had somewhat questionable lookin shot.
But nothing like a winchester XPert, holy welding slag batman :eek:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Supremes, Kents, and Federals have all had nice round shot for me.

Remington Nitros had pitted funny looking stuff, xpert has different sizes and some look oval or smashed a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts