Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you ever hunt ducks with a muzzel loader? If so what do you use for shot and how much powder, type of wads and shot cups? I'd like to try my single shot Traditions 12 ga. out on some blacks & mallards.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/ fishing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've never tried it before, but it sure sounds like it would be an interesting challenge. The hardest part would be in keeping all your powder and wads dry I guess. It would have been easier to use black powder before they enforced the non-toxic shot laws because you would have been able to use lead. Do you think you'll get enough FPS out of steel from a muzzle loader to successfully kill ducks?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that with 110 grains of powder I should be able to generate about 1150 fps to 1200 fps. I'll have to chronograph this to make sure, if it does and I hunt over decoys keeping my shots at 25 yrds or less it should work provided I use #2 or larger shot. Sure would help if someone else had done this and was willing to share their findings. But like to be challenged.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hhehe i was gonna do that so i could shoot lead....LOL..but then i found out it dont matter...ya gotta use steel shot here, even in a muzzleloader... make sure if ur shootin steel tho..that your ML will handle it..?? also.. cant remember where but ya hafta find out...id think you could just load the ML with the same reloading as conventional shells are loaded... that would be tho up to the manufacturer of your ML....ya know..??? so you need to check with ur gun manufacturer......

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
couldn't find any bulk steel shot so resorted to taking some shells apart for the shot. #2 shot winchester shot cups over 100 grains of FFg black powder. Slow reloading but got 2 ducks 1 blk & 1 mallard. Lot of fun and thats what its all about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i used to hunt em with a pedersoli double blackpowder once in a while. just bought some shot #4's from a reloading supply place, some remington power piston wads, and some overshot cards from cabelas. 90 grains of powder underneath. i took a few ducks and a bunch of sharptail with it. i quit hunting with it cuz the timing is so different. the lock time is so slow, and the shot is slower, so ya really gotta lead em. it is friggin cool lookin down the two barrels, and out of the corner of your eye see the hammers fall on the primers as you are swinging, and a split second later-blap! the gun goes off. it is too tough to switch back and forth to new ammo and new guns tho, cuz of the lock time. if you stay with just the blackpowder, though, it can be a blast. i hunted one season with nothing but primitive arms-no cases shells,rifle or shotgun-and although i didnt get as much game, it definatley was a season to remember.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts