Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some differnt setups of lights that i want to mount on the front of boat. if anyone has pics of their light setups it would be appreciated and what kind to get.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here are mine that i got from advanced auto.... they are only 55 watt

DO NOT BUY THEM.... I have replaced these lights with the BAJA 100 watt lights and there is a WORLD of difference and only 5 bucks more from advanced auto

i think the guys up here will agree ....100 watts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi there sorry to kind of jump in here and steal this thread post but you guys seem to know what you are doing.

I want to put lights on my boat as well but don't have a charging kit on the motor..

is it possible to install one after market?

if so where can i get one and how would i go about doing it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
What kind of motor do you have on your boat? Most mudmotors will recharge your battery while running is why i ask.

are you wanting a recharger that acts as a alternator for your battery or are you just looking something to hook up to the wall outlet after your done hunting for the day??

·
Registered
740 Posts
I use the 100W Baja lights and they are awesome. No glare and they will light up everything in front of you out to 250 yards or so with a very wide beam. I got them at Advanced Auto for about $18 each. I do not have a charging system on my boat so I just charge the battery between trips. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies. i have been thinking about getting started on this so when next season rolls around im ready to go. and it will come in handy for fishing at night. i was thinking about having a bracket mounted under the bow to mount them to to get them off the deck, our old boat had them on top and they seemed to get banged around all the time. dont want to have to change out lights all of the time because i plan on getting a pretty decent set of these.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a remote controlled Go-Light! I love it!!! They're expensive & when I first started rigging lights I thought it was crazy to spend $250-$300 for a light. No way...no how! Rigged several different set-ups & some did fine but never pointing where I wanted them on open water. Timber was different as it didn't matter so much where they were pointed. Bit the bullet & got the Go-Light. Mounted the remote on the seat where I sit. No more having the guy on the front of the boat adjusting my lights. I just do it myself. I can see a LONG way in open water & timber is like running daylight. I got the 500,000cp model (stryker). Candlepower is misleading. Lumens are the actual brightness of a light in my opinion. Get what you want & the baja's look like they'd do the job much cheaper but I really like the go-light & being able to adjust them from the seat is super nice.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was actually wanting to put some kind of alternator on the motor, it's a dual purpose boat and we do alot of fishing and trolling with the electric minn kota,

it sucks lugging the heavy battery back and forth to charge it and thought you guys might know how to go about adding the alternator to the motor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im about to rig my new boat up too and I was just about to ask the same question before I saw this thread.

Does anyone use yellow lights to help in the fog? My buddys boat on a foggy morning the lights just make things way worse.

-PJ

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Drop Zone said:
I use the 100W Baja lights and they are awesome. No glare and they will light up everything in front of you out to 250 yards or so with a very wide beam. I got them at Advanced Auto for about $18 each. I do not have a charging system on my boat so I just charge the battery between trips. Works fine for me.
Do you think one of these lights on the front of a 10ft pirouge would do good for timber and sloughs? Would the beam be wide enough so i dont have to move back and forth like a spotlight? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Orangefoot, I have never just used one light by itself so I can't say for sure. All I can say is that when going down a river that is about 40 yards wide with both light pointed straight ahead, the beams are wide enout to light up the bank on both sides of the river just in front of the boat. So, in short, they are very wide and bright beams. I think one light would be more than sufficient for the purpose you stated.

A not about these lights...you can move them left to right very easy just by turning them but there is very little up/down adjustment, so when you mount them they need be pretty level. The good thing is the beams are wide enough to compensate for bow rise when under power. I just pointed one a little lower than the other and I always have more than enough light everywhere I need it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
We often still have to use a handheld Q-beam. But its nice having a free hand when driving and the lights on the front give you that ability. I have found that they work really well when loading up the boat in the dark. We also pull our boat up im the hole we want tohunt and shine the lights out over the hole to put out our decoys and such. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
i dont like those lights i find they blind you more then anything but if you do get some plastic lights build a guard both mine got kicked off in the cold

·
Registered
668 Posts
I use the sun, it works great. :rofl: just kidding, bought a secondhand
aircraft landing light, that baby lights the world. You have to have an alternator, this baby will drain a battery in minutes. Scares the hell
out of anybody in its beam.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.