Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to ask this question on the thread about a training question but didn't want it to get off topic.

How many of you guys use the bottled bird scent for training. I have heard good and bad, but I've never used it personally. I know for my upland training I would pretty much consider it useless because I really don't think you can put the smell of a live quail in a bottle.

To teach a dog to use its nose more for retrieving, I could see this helping. Just wanted to get some thoughts.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have a lab and he would just look for the bird not smell it. so i put some set on a dummy and made sure he didnt see where it went hide it in some grass and behind a tree ect..... and he started useing his nose so i think it helped alot now im pretty comfortable in the field with him findin whatever i put out there......so i would say get yourself a bottle adn try it out may work for you may not imo
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i used it early on with my dog. i don't know if it helped. he uses sight first but naturally puts his head down to scent if he can't find something. nothing is better than the actual bird itself, imo. i cut wings and freeze them and utilize them when working bumpers, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I thought it might be ok for train but never worried about it. I had some laying around and opened with my lab there. He got a whiff of that and acted like me watching my wifes clothes coming off. :getdown: So, needless to say, but now I use it on the dummy.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I used it since the pup was like 14 weeks old. I would hide wings around the house, say hunt em up and love em to death when they would find the wing.

As they grew older I would put the scent on a wing, drag it around the yard and hide it in a bush somewhere and play the hunt game.

Now that my dogs hunt well I say hunt em up and my chessie takes off throughout the neighborhood looking for a bird. Its funny, he will jump fences and just GO!

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use It, and I'm very happy with the results I see. Try this: Take two tennis balls put scent on only one, and give them a toss close together. My dog will almost always bring back the one with scent on it first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.