Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,854 Posts
I hear ya. I had some guys today that set up in the same pool as me. I had the best blind (in my opinion) on this CA and apparently some other guys thought the same thing. I get all my dekes out and then all the sudden some guys yell across the marsh to see if we wanted to hunt with them in our pool. Little did I know they were already set up and stayed for the morning. Also got to listen to another group high ballin all morning. :pissed:

· Registered
3,108 Posts
Don't even get me started......

Call 911 from your cell and ask for the CO and report the violators.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
GreenheadKiller said:
LoL, I've had people pick up ducks that I've shot before and claim they got it and I'm not talking about my friends!!!! :umm:
O boy, now someones inside of thier waders might have to get wet on that one :cool:

· Registered
304 Posts
In regards to legal shooting times, how do you determine what the legal time is....in tx, it's 30min before sunrise to sunset, do you look at the weather report and get a sunrise-time and go from there or do other states have a set time. I always wait until I can identify the bird before I shoot, and thats always well into shooting hours.

· Registered
70 Posts
try this link....its on my favorites list

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

works great for planning your next hunt

also i keep an eye on my cell phone...the time auto updates so its pretty accurate....

my clock in my truck is usually 10 min fast anyway....so i'll not be late...and the alarm clock is 20 min fast...the wife hates it....but she's usually not late

· Registered
1,544 Posts
One of my first times duck hunting I was setting out decoys. & then, 20 mins before legal shooting hrs - 20 mins - a guy started shooting. & this was on state game lands! I saw who I thought was responsible leaving w/ what appeared to be a black duck. Remember, I was not certain that that guy was the one. He emerged from the direction of the shooting. & skybusting? I thought that it was a West Pa. thing. Unless wardens are around, then all that you can do is gripe. W/ regard to the skybusting, wardens can do nothing. The shooter can claim that he thought that the bird was in range; the old "judgment call".

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another story from yesterday morning. We took a guy who is in a wheelchair hunting yesterday morning, so we were limited to boat hunting. I scouted and found about 3000 ducks using a particular area. We get there at 5:30 and are the only people boat hunting this morning. Some nice outta state guys helped us get our handicapped hunter into the boat. We get to the spot and set up. Pretty soon, those outta state guys set up about 60 yards behind us. Their first shot makes my hair stand on end.

Then about 9 oclock we have some guys motor through our decoys. They proceed to set up about 75 yards away. We watched them sky bust 2 different ducks abd hit them. One drake mallard landed in between us and them. They never made a effort to retrieve them. Then about 10 minutes later they skybust another one. It carwheels across the water about 80 yards right in front of them. It was stone dead. THey never even left their boat. If you are gonna shoot ducks, then please make an effort to retrieve the birds.

· Registered
380 Posts
When it comes to Sky Busting and Shooting before Legal Hours or After Legal Hours, I have ONE HECK OF A MOUTH ON ME!

I'll Holler some not so nice things at guys and they are not Politicely Correct! :yes:

"Hey you Dumb Azz's you ever heard of SHOOTING TIMES"
"They are To F-ing HIGH You Morons!"

"Ever Heard of Wanten Waste there "Richard Knoggen"?

Some of my Buddies Want to Belly Crawl to the Truck when I start this. I CAN'T Stand when guys Shoot before and after Shooting Times or Skybust!

3 of us reported some guys a few years back. WORKED!! They got pinched for shooting 40 minutes after legal hours, over limits, shooting Protected Waterfowl(Cornmorants) Shooting at Protected Waterfowl (Swan) and shooting from a Boat while under a motors power! :thumbsup:

Make a phone call! :thumbsup:

Get them pinched! :thumbsup:

As for guys setting up ontop of you.

I have a place on the river were I will set 6 decoys out 3 days before the first day to let guys KNOW I will be hunting that spot.
Had some guys set up 25 yards from me one time around 1/2 hour before shooting hours. I shined the Flashlight at them, They said, "We SEE You!"

I remained Calm, When the Ducks started to fly, I started throwing a stick for he Dog. She LOVED it, I LOVED it and these guys got the hint and left for the day!

Training the Dog when Guys set up to close, tends to make them think alittle and get the point without anything being said!

· Registered
97 Posts
I remained Calm, When the Ducks started to fly, I started throwing a stick for he Dog. She LOVED it, I LOVED it and these guys got the hint and left for the day!

Training the Dog when Guys set up to close, tends to make them think alittle and get the point without anything being said!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :mrgreen:

· Premium Member
877 Posts
Smart trick. Its one thing if they come up on you but then leave, and another if they know you are there and stay anyway. It would almost be sensible to legalize shooting them (i'm somewhat joking, i wouldn't shoot anyone just for pissing me off {sorry if thats fowl language}) best way to take care of em is to stay there and use wrong calls, do it terrible make movement/noise, etc. anything to flare the ducks away. THey get the message pretty quick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.