Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on what might cause a complete barrel failure on 3" BPS? My son was out this am, and shot two green heads then on the third shot the barrel peeled back 12 inches. Scary thing, and fortunately no one was hurt. He was shooting 3 inch Federal steel shot.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
WOW...I'm glad to hear your son is O.K. The only thing I could imagine would do that sort of damage is a blockage in the end of the barrel. May want to contact Browning.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Glad to know noone got hurt. my bet would also be something may have plugged the barrel, but then again you would have thought the 1st two shots would have cleaned it out or blown it up with one of them. I'd contact browning. Maybe it was a factory defect or something. ... How old is teh gun?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had trouble w/ fed. steel.these were shells from last season that had been in the boat.when i shot , is seems that the whole shell, less the base went down the tube as one rusted mass.this was a bps,ithought the gun had blown up.the hull steck is the forceing cone and had to be turned out by a gun smith.that was the last box of fed i bought.used rem & win under similar conditions & never had a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tanner said:
Anyone have any suggestions on what might cause a complete barrel failure on 3" BPS? My son was out this am, and shot two green heads then on the third shot the barrel peeled back 12 inches. Scary thing, and fortunately no one was hurt. He was shooting 3 inch Federal steel shot.
I had a BPS failure and It bulged the barrel. I sent iit back to Browning and they called asking if I reloaded shells and what kind of shells I used. I told them I didnot reload for shotguns and I shoot Remington Express steel shot. They told me it was not covered by warranty and I told them to ship it back to me and I would shoot it till it blewup in my face. Then I would have someone else call them (lawyer). They were nice enough to send me a new replacement barrel. You have to get a little rough with them and they will cave in. But your sons barrel souonds like it had mud in the barrel when he shot.

·
Banned
2,496 Posts
Since he dropped birds with the first two shots and it banana peeled on the third I doubt it was a result of a drop in the mud. Probably a wad from the second shell got stuck in the barell and along with a weakness in the barrel it popped.

Glad to hear everyone was ok

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.