Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys narrowed my gun selection to these two, Either a bps or a supernova. I can get both for approx the same price.
People who use these types of guns, what have you noticed, liked/disliked about features. maintenance and any performance issues with these guns?

Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
They are both fine guns, get the one that fits and points best. Ive never owned the bps but have owned several other browning firearms with no problems. My personal choice is a Nova. I like the rotory bolt lock up and they field strip so easily for cleaning. I dont know for sure but have read that the bps action is somewhat complicated. I like things simple and dependable and my nova fills the bill! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I personally like the feel, action, safety location, on the BPS. But they are a royal pain to clean and are pretty heavy.

The Supernova doesn't feel quite as good, but its super easy to take apart and clean, and feels pretty good, so I'd go with one of those.

I have a Nova and love it.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I think the Bps has better resale and will be a better gun for you if it fits you right. The supernova is really really easy to break down and fix in the field when it malfunctions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Not in my experience. Go with the browning.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As already said, find the one that fits you and feels "right"
Both are good guns, I am a Browning fan, so that is where I
lean towards, having said that I own a Bennelli & Beretta Camo Auto Loaders. In that case Gun starts with a "B" it must be good.

Gun make is a personal perference, so 50 replies and more than
likely many different responses.

When in doubt buy both.!!!!!

Have fun

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not in my experience thats why its my experience. Go with the browning.
And i've had the exact opposite experience, never broken down or malfuctioned once. Go with the Benneli.

Go to any 'most reliable' shotgun topic, or post one at any waterfowl forum. 90% of the answers will say either the 870 or nova/supernova, with the Browning getting an 'honorable mention'. I really don't think thats a coincidence.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to own a Browning if I had the money to buy one, because they are a great gun, and most of the time there should be no problems. When it comes to reliability, however, I have a feeling most people would favor the Nova line over the Browning.

There is more of a 'when' consideration with the Browning, than with the Nova.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an old BPS (20 yrs.) and an older nova (7 yrs). Never had a problem with neither. Will be duck hunting with the BPS next year because of fit. Have been using and will continue to use the Nova for turkeys. I also like the fit of the 870. I also have one of them, but it has the 26" barrel. As long as the gun fits, the rest is just preference. I have a gun for every occasion, but the wife doesen't know it. :wink:

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
One thing I noticed is guys with Novas always claim there gun works great. I wonder if there is a significant difference between the nova and the super internally. It seems the Super has more problems. Did you make up your mind yet? If so which did you pick?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had a 20ga bps for 20+ years. I use it primarily for grouse and pheasant. I am getting a Nova or Supernova for a duck gun in the next few days, though. Having used the BPS, and researched the Benelli, the key things that you have to consider:
- Finish. Want a great looking wood/blued gun? Get the bps.
- Safety placement. This is something I don't hear people talk about much, but it is somewhat important IMHO. The BPS you work with your thumb (if you are used to dbl barrels, it is the same deal). The Benelli pumps have it on the front of the trigger guard.
- Different load/unload features. The BPS has hte 'eject the shells without having to cycle the pump feature' , while the Benelli has the 'cycle the pump without ejecting the shells feature'. Minor consideration as far as I am concerned.
- The bottom ejector on the BPS. I have never viewed this as a positive or negative (just 'different'), but some folks have strong feelings one way or the other on it.

I hear people complain that the Nova pump 'rattles', which supposedly is by design (more play in case dirt/ice gets in there). It apparently isn't as much of an issue in the SuperNova (if you ever thought it was an issue -- I never even noticed it with the Nova I tried out).

I am going with the Benelli for a duck gun over the bps primarily because of the price and and the finish. (Getting a camo'd version so I don't have to worry so much about rusting.) It is quite a bit cheaper than the BPS, and also cheaper than a similarly equipped 870.

Try both of them out, though, and get the one that feels the best! To me they seem to fit pretty similarly -- and 870 feels foreign to me compared to these two models.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Goose bonker, if you liked the browning better why did you get a supernova?
I hunt to much nasty weather to want to break down and clean the BPS more then once a year.

I can take apart, clean, and put back together my nova in about 15 minutes.

I do however have a BPS 10 that I have and love, but I only take it out on nice days for goose hunts, and I took it apart and cleaned it once last year, and haven't hunted it since. Took about 45 minutes to clean, and another 45 minutes to figure out how to put it back together.

That is the only reason I chose the nova over the BPS, but the fact that the BPS is about $500-$600 and the Nova was $380 for a camo one helped too.
:thumbsup:

And I got a standard Nova by the way, the supernova felt a little better, but I didn't see that as being worth another $100, so I got a case of ammo with the $100 I saved on the Nova.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't forget that the Browning has the over bore barrel .742 Dia.
and the Benelli has around a .723 Dia. just for example look at the gun that is cleaning up Turkey hunting still target competitions its the BPS. I know most Duck hunters will never pattern there guns but they would kill more birds if they found out what there gun was doing at the distance they hunt at. For my Money the BPS is still a real gun that will normally out pattern everything but another Browning or winchester and it's not another plastic fantastic. I look at my SBE II and wonder what they were thinking. when I put my hands on an Super Nova my first thought was what the Heck is this thing I didnt think my former Nova could get any more Ugly but Benelli managed to do it! :huh:

By the way check out the new Winchester Pump on there web site they have updated the 1200 and the price is very good!

Well my rant is over now:yes:

Kurt

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Ya Ill sell mine too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.