Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys break-in your new shotgun?
I will be picking up my new Browning Gold hunter 3 1/2" mag. next week. This is how I have broken in my current browning 3" mag.
I will shoot about 10-15 rounds of 2 3/4" #6's. Then shoot about 1 box of 3" mag's. Then shoot about 8 boxes of 1 1/8" #8's. Then I go dove hunting! By the time duck season gets here, I will be good and ready!

this is my first 3 1/2" gun....any special break-in tips?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've never thought about breaking in a new gun, now a baseball glove yes. A gun, I know that when they come out of the box they should have a good coat of lubricant on them. Look them over for anything that looks funny. Then go shoot the hell out of it. I think a gun should go from box to 60 without any problems. If there is a problem, you still have plenty of time to take the o'll terd back and exchange it. :smile:

Disclaimer. read the owners manual. :yes:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i don't believe that you need to worry about breaking in your new scattergun. give it a good cleaning and follow the owner's guide for the proper places to oil the new gun and then go have at it.

i know that some people believe strongly in breaking in a new rifle barrel to ensure spot on accuracy and reliable tight grouping, but it don't believe it is a concern with a shotgun.

of course, read your owner's manual and follow any guidelines that they may have for initial use.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
:withstupid:

From my experiece, a well made shotgun like that shouldnt need to be "broken in", they do a good job at the factory of lubing, cleaning, etc....

I have one, and it shot just fine out of the box :thumbsup:
-Stouff

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess what I'm getting at is I have heard that with the new automatics that shoot 3 1/2" mag's will, in the beginning, not eject light loads until you have shot some heavier loads thru it. We always have a big clay shoot in August and I don't want to go out and that be the first time to shoot alot of rounds thru it and it jam trying to throw those short brass out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
never heard of braking in a new gun, now if u buy a traditions semi-auto....thow it away ull do better throwin rocks cuz it doesnt eject crap.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It anit like a motor or a new girl friend. :toofunny: It should be good to go right out of the box, but do read the instructions from the manufacturer as there may be some things that they recomend.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
sounds like a valid question Okie, i can't say that i have ever heard that myself, but i tend to lean more towards the doubles and pump guns. what brand of gun is it? i have heard that some "magnum" autos have troubles with lighter loads, but it is supposedly inherent and not a break in issue.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha!...well...I have never heard of breaking in an auto either...but some guys I have talked to said that as a "new" gun, it would not throw the light loads all the time...but that once they shot it for a bit it never jammed after that....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Fire away :yes: :yes: :yes: A good cleaning goes a long way...word of advice....do not over lube. Enjoy your new gun....she's a dandy :thumbsup:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since I only shoot pump guns I guess this only applies to them but I like to shoot a few hundred trap loads in them before the season, not so much to break them in but to smooth out the action. There is a lot to be said for a smooth pump gun. I suppose you could sit around the house and work the action for a while but you might as well get a little practice in while you are at it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
okie, most 3.5" guns will not eject light loads anyways. Like the cheap 7/8 oz. field loads. I don't care if the manufacturer says they will, cause the won't.
Also, on the breakin in part. Take the gun apart and make sure you wipe off all that white packing grease. (you'll see it)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
frazier2209 said:
okie, most 3.5" guns will not eject light loads anyways. Like the cheap 7/8 oz. field loads. I don't care if the manufacturer says they will, cause the won't.
Sorry fraz, I have to disagree.

I have used many 3.5 autos, and have never had an issue w/ it......

-Stouff

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
several guys in my skeet league shoot the SBE II's and they use low base AA's and they shoot and eject just fine. they are probably shooting like a 2 1/2 dram or something runnin around 1200 fps.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Yeah, the ones ive used were like 1 or 1 1/8 oz. never tried a 7/8.....but that shouldnt make that much of a diff.

-Stouff

·
Registered
796 Posts
ACEBLDRS said:
several guys in my skeet league shoot the SBE II's and they use low base AA's and they shoot and eject just fine. they are probably shooting like a 2 1/2 dram or something runnin around 1200 fps.
ace, their shootin SBE2's they use the inertia thing. MOST of the gas recoil semi's won't eject them cheap 7/8oz. loads.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
O.K. works for me. I don't know a lot about these guns, I just shootem. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.