Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all....i have a browning 3.5 inch gold hunter and find it very good to aim.i use it mostly for tutle dove, quail and woodcok. the only defect is that sometimes the shells get stcuk. i.e. the shell shot is released but it pulls out two from the magazine instead of one.....has someone encountered this defect ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My buddy has a 3.5 inch gold and his had a tendency to jam by not extracting. He put an upgraded spring kit in it (available in cabelas for about $100) and it got even worse. He ended up putting the original stuff back in it.

However, while he had the stronger spring kit and mag spring, he noticed problems with the action not closing and had a similar problem to yours. I would say that it sounds like the mag release is not functioning. If you have had it completely apart and cleaned and it is still doing it, I would let Browning know.....they are really good about a problem like this......it is not the ordinary spent shell jam.

I just bought a gold 3" for my father and it works great.......my experience is the gold 3" is better on not jamming than the 3.5. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had that problem but it was just with Mag loads. It is related to the magazine cut off. the spring behind the release in the tube is too weak. Is it just with Mag loads? You prolly know that the bolt/magazine/mag cut-off is designed for the fast pace of the Dove hunters. When the action is open and you feed a shell into the mag, it will automaticlly load one to the chamber. The spring needs to be replaced with the next heavier one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The problem is that Browning made the gun a 3.5 when it is designed for 3 inch. The Goldhunters are notorous for having these malfunctions. They didn't make all the adjustments needed to comply with a true 3.5 inch. That's why the 3 inch is fine. They basically have the same guts but different magazines etc. The same reason a lot of early 3.5 have malfunction problems.
I say stick with a 3 inch gun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first Gold 3 1/2" models did have problems. They had reciever problems. This has long been corrected. I would not recommend ANY 3 1/2" model for the type of game you are after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only problems I have with my Gold 3.5 is when I don't clean it...once in the middle of duck season and once at the end. My brother's Gold shoots flawlessly as well. It shoots great all through my Olin skeet league too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts