Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure do not want to hear any griping about the ducks hanging "up North" as they are definately are not up here now. It will not even get above zero for the high here today in S MN where I live. Even the biggest lakes frozen over now. Only a few bigger rivers are open now.
I heard of some big snows down around the Ohio River Valley. I suspect the MS and LA boyz will be seeing new ducks as a result of the cold.

As for the Mn season-one of the poorest I ever have seen. Our season closed 1 month ago and it was still warm here--never did see ducks even after the close though. I think the USFWS can shove their duck pop estimates where it does not shine. I suspect it is at least 1/3 lower than what they think the duck pop really is. Even the Dakotas had "poor" duck numbers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
60 degrees here today. Don't know if I am bragging or complaining! We got just a taste of snow last Sunday night and I hunted Monday and Tuesday thinking we would be "eat up" with ducks. Did not happen! I got a few teal and wood ducks and did not see much else. We did have alot of teal to come in the impound after sundown Monday but they were gone and not returned Tues morning. I left before the impound thawed so suspect they might have come back in later Tuesday. We have another cold spell coming through Christmas day and I am hopeful for good hunting next week. Hang in there in that cold weather up "north". I will keep you posted on ducks in NC rest of our season (til Jan 27).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in michigan and it has been about 10 degrees for the last week and it is like the ducks are now showing up as the lakes freeze over, every pothole is filled with ducks, lake michigan has thousands of divers sittin on it..............i dont know where they all were during hte season

·
Registered
100 Posts
My own little central kansas report isnt that bad..?? There were more mallards this year... than last. About the same for gadwalls earlier this year,,, Didnt see any woodies like last year... Geese were better hehehe got 6 this year rather than the three last year... The Puzzling part to me is tho there werent near as many snow geese this year yet..??? uhhhhhhhhh but for the yet... i think thats over... its like 4 degrees out...and now the water on the ponds anyway has at least a couple of inches of ice... the reservoir is still open..but i havent even hunted there this year.... thats usually where the snows are at least roosting..but the reports... havent been there...and also if there are the normal snow geese like last year...then the farmers are callin me....LOL....no calls period this year for them....LOL....so dunnno..??? parts were better than last year...
It did get cold sort of sudden tho...so maybe the snow geese are yet to come..and will jus keep on movin..... time will tell i guess....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heck here in NE Missouri it is cold i am going to check a few pounds that have a lot of crappie in them to see if the ice is thick enough, i went duck hunting at ted shanks conservation area tuesday and had to break ice that was almost 2 1/2 inches thick, i love it but i hate it, it puts a damper on the ducks but puts a fishing pole in my hand and there aint nothing better
BUBBA

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Snows were here, you jsut missed them. Heck they are still here and will be in the field we are hunting tomorrow morning. Field hunting mallards. About 10,000 in this field with about 3-4 thousand snows. Temp will be be around 2 degress with wind chills 10-15 below. Our river spots are holding 150 geese at one 100 ducks at another. Post up on how I do in the morning.

THis is the best duck season for us that I can remember in my short 10 year hunting experience.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cold is right!!! Got down to -12 degree's this morning, on a good note ( I think) Ive seen the most mallard's today now that season is closed than I seen all year. All sitting on a creek where a big tile dump's into it, had to be at least 500 there, that's how poor the season was in NW Iowa this year, but at any rate hope you all down south get some shooting, note I said some, leave some to come back north :mrgreen: Sound's to me like all the bird's were in Kansas this year, heard alot of good report's from there. You guy's getting some more habitat down there or what??? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
It was downright freezing cold out the 23rd and 24th but got warmer past couple days. on the 22nd i had almost 10,000 snows on a field on the north side of the road of my house and tried to crawl out on em through a ditch/waterway/weed patch thing and was unsucessful... my bro was with me and got the only decent shot and got 1... but i was glad to see 'em and was made happier Thursday when i limited out on pheasants and my dad got 3 and bro got 1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.