Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some questions on this relic of a motor if anyone out there has any knowledge on them. I know that it was built between 1950 and 65 by either Gale or OMC. I got the motor from my grandpa about 8 years ago and then it sat for those eight years. Now that I got into duck hunting I have a real use for it. I got the old baby to fire up and run amazingly enough. My questions are what the gap on the spark plugs should be and is the motor air cooled or does it have an impeller. I have run the motor for only about a minute at a time in bucket of water and it does not pee any water out the back so I figure that it was air cooled or the impeller is broken. I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Brian,
Try letting the motor run a little longer, if it kills on you, your cooling impeller is probably not functioning properly. Don't worry about hurting your motor, they're designed to stop well before you blow your motor. If you want to see if it is water cooled , check near your propeller for the water inlet jets, then look for the water outlet. (should be located just under your engine hood) I may not know much about boat motors, but I've never heard of an air cooled outboard boat motor. Hope this helps. Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most of the outboards of that time had an outlet spout just above the propeller. I have a 1956 3hp evenrude and it was water cooled. motors of that time didn't have automatic shutdowns so be careful when you run it, it only takes seconds to ruin the empeller also if ran out of water. Let it run a little longer and keep feeling the motor to see if it is heating up. Hope this helps some.
oldhunter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.